We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me more about Greenwich please.

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Tell me more about Greenwich please.

I am seeing Greenwich mentioned more and more. I also saw mention of a Tall Ship event in Sept. We will be in London Sept 6 -13, and while we have many things planned and a couple of plays in the evening, I am wondering if we should include this destination. How far from Central London and how easy to get to? How to make the most of a visit there? Thank you!

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,600 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tell me more about Greenwich please.

www.visitgreenwich.org.uk

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tell me more about Greenwich please.

Lots to do. The Royal Observatory, the Greenwich Meridian, the National Maritime Museum, the Cutty Sark, Greenwich Park and more.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,213 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tell me more about Greenwich please.

royalgreenwich.gov.uk/tallships/…index.php

Going out by boat and back by the Docklands Light Railway is, literally, the way to go.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tell me more about Greenwich please.

Very easy, and well worth the visit

London, United...
Level Contributor
659 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tell me more about Greenwich please.

If you go there or back by DLR I suggest walking through the foot tunnel and catching the DLR at Island Gardens, (tunnel entrance is near the Cutty Sark a small domed building), it is definitely something to tell your friends that you walked under the Thames, it takes about 10 minutes. On the DLR try to nab the front seat in the front carriage as there is no driver.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tell me more about Greenwich please.

I always tell people that Greenwich is a must-see location in London. I would say that outside of the main attractions in central London I can't think of anywhere more worthwhile for a whole day. There is just so much to see that is so interesting. As already stated, travel one direction from Bank to Cutty Sark on the DLR, which takes 18 minutes (or 17 minutes to Island Gardens, highly recommended for the view and foot tunnel). Take the boat the other direction. Once in Greenwich you are spoiled for things to do. The main attraction is probably the park, a Royal Park which still has deer, although they are in a large enclosure rather than roaming free as they do at Richmond Park and Bushy Park. In and around the park the main attractions are the National Maritime Museum, Queen's House (an art gallery and former royal residence), Royal Observatory, and Ranger's House. Just across the road from the bottom of the park is the Old Royal Naval College, where the painted hall and chapel are the highlights. At one end of this complex is the Cutty Sark, a very famous old ship which you can go inside. If after all this you have any time left there are a couple of interesting churches and the fan museum. At the top end of the park you can also visit Blackheath. There's also a great art house cinema called Greenwich Picturehouse. Lots of great restaurants and interesting old pubs. Oh, and a market. I've never seen the attraction myself, but tourists seem to love it.

London
Level Contributor
840 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tell me more about Greenwich please.

Some film buffs visit Greenwich because some of the major scenes from the film of the musical, Les Miserables, were filmed there, albeit with some cinematic tricks. This scene, for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMYNfQlf1H8

The reason Greenwich was chosen was because much of central Paris was re-modelled between about 1860-1885, so there were few places that looked like the Paris of 1832, the year the riots it depicts took place. Greenwich was thought to look more like the grander areas of central Paris of that time, though I think the buildings are too English-looking, especially the windows, but maybe only a Londoner would notice.

Edited: 02 September 2014, 18:59
Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tell me more about Greenwich please.

By all means visit Trafalgar Tavern and sample their famous old English dishes. Great view of the Thames, just down from the Cutty Sark. www.trafalgartavern.co.uk for menu and location.

9. Re: Tell me more about Greenwich please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2015, 06:16