We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keep using Booking.com after being scammed?

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Keep using Booking.com after being scammed?

Should one keep using Booking.com after being scammed precisely with the personal information one gave them in custody? I don´t think so... I used Booking.com for over 6 years and worked fine until now, when I was scammed. If Booking.com doesn´t take responsibility for this funds misappropriation and doesn´t refund its clients the money stolen from them due to a security breach down THEIR business chain, I don´t see why I should keep doing business with them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
553 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Keep using Booking.com after being scammed?

<<< with the personal information one gave them in custody? >>.

So were you arrested for some reason and had to give information to the police ?

London
Level Contributor
840 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Keep using Booking.com after being scammed?

I thought they had asked for people who have lost money to contact them. Do that and see what happens. That's assuming you are referring to the scam that has been highlighted over the last few weeks, but you don't give any details.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,080 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keep using Booking.com after being scammed?

The thing is though, when someone suddenly contacts you, requesting that you send a direct payment to them, that should ring alarm bells immediately. And also when such payment is completely against the contract that was agreed to, would it not be wise to contact the business to ask them wtf is going on? I certainly wouldn't go sending off a ton of money via an unsecure method to some random based on one email just because it told me to.

Edited: 02 September 2014, 19:20
Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keep using Booking.com after being scammed?

My story in short: I booked the Rosewood London hotel through Booking.com. On August 18, 2014 I received phone calls and e-mails from the alleged hotel and on that same date, I also received an email from Booking, all of them asking me to fully prepay my reservation due to high demand. I have been using Booking.com for over 6 years (in their system I am a "Genious" due to +16 bookings), I trusted them so I wire transfer the money to an account in the PostBank in Germany. Yesterday, 10 days after I have wired the funds, I received an email from Booking warning me about the scam (not a very timely warning...). I inmediately emailed Booking describing my case and asking them what is going to happen next and they haven´t answered me so far. I don´t know in who´s system the breach occurred, all I know is that I am the client of Booking, I gave them my information and it was missused down THEIR business chain. Booking should be forced by the European authorities to refund its clients for the money they lost due to a security breach on THEIR business chain. In the meanwhile, should I keep using Booking.com? Would you?

California
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keep using Booking.com after being scammed?

In making over 16 bookings and NEVER being asked to wire transfer payment in full, why would you do that? Wouldn't they have just wanted to charge your credit card(like every other online merchant) rather than ask for a wire bank transfer? That would be a HUGE red flag for most people. Sorry you fell victim to this scam but for most, it would seem very dodgy.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Keep using Booking.com after being scammed?

I think this is very harsh on the OP, this is a sophisticated scam with details that only the hotel and booking dot com would know coming in emails to the email address you used. It's not justa random email from no one you ever heard of saying send us money.

It's very easy in hindsight to say you wouldn't have been fooled, but who knows.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
790 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Keep using Booking.com after being scammed?

I still use Booking.com as a search engine for accommodation deals, when I find something I like I then go direct to the hotel etc to find if I can get the same or cheaper deal. If not I will still continue to book with Booking.com. I also contact hotel just to confirm that I have a booking and it is as per my Booking.com confirmation. The places I have booked to date have all asked for payment in local currency when I arrive, if I was to receive an email to the contrary I would be checking again with hotel and do not under any circumstances send wire transfers. I was once asked to do that for a Tour Company in Yorkshire, I refused and cancelled my booking, weeks later that company went into liquidation.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Keep using Booking.com after being scammed?

Hello,

We are on top of this phishing activity and have assigned a dedicated group to investigate this. At the same time we have involved external authorities as well to help us with what we think is a criminal activity aimed at hotels and customers.

Regards, Andrea

Booking.com Customer Service Team

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Keep using Booking.com after being scammed?

MChiddy, in the past I have been asked to prepay hotels by wire transfer to secure bookings during peak seasons. I did that last year to secure a booking in Costa Rica for Christmas and New Year, and did the same 2 years ago to secure a holiday booking in Mexico. So I was not surprised to be asked to prepay this London booking by wire transfer due to high demand in the city during my travel dates.

I am not new in internet transactions: I have been using Booking.com during the last 6 years, but I have been making transactions over the internet for at least 15 years. During all of this time I have received many attempts to scam me, but this is the first time the scammers have succeeded. Why they succeeded? Because they are very sophisticated criminals, and know the industry argot and manners so well, that I would even dare to bet they are Booking.com and/or hotel insiders. Every contact with them, either by phone or by e-mail, flowed like any other contact with the reservations department of any hotel would have gone. The alleged “Booking.com” e-mails I received from the scammers letting me know that my London hotel required a prepayment, looked just as the many others I have received from the real Booking during the last 6 years I have used them. And besides, they had my complete personal information and all of my travel details, which only Booking.com or the hotel were supposed to have…

But beyond all of the above mentioned, at the end, my point is simple: I gave my personal information and travel details to Booking.com in custody and due to a security breach in their system or down in their business chain, scammers were able to contact me. No scammer should have ever been able to get in touch with me. Who´s fault is that?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,766 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Keep using Booking.com after being scammed?

Andrea, bkng.com,

Why cant you make a public statement WARNING clients about this, IN ADVANCE??