We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haethrow experience September 1st

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,492 posts
254 reviews
Save Topic
Haethrow experience September 1st

For the benefit of those asking what is currently happening at London airports, a domestic flight experience.

Flew with BA to Aberdeen from Terminal 1. Everything very quiet at 5 am. Arrived 1 1/2 hours in advance. Formalities took 20 minutes. Allowed one briefcase sized hand item each through security, plus anything you could buy airside, but no toiletries or liquids. Slightly larger baggage did not seem to be a problem but one girl with a huge rucksack was asked to go back and check it in (how did she get that far?)

Coming back even quicker and people seemed to be allowed larger hand baggage generally in that direction.

On balance, apart from the liquids and toiletries, everything was quite normal.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,261 reviews
from US$126.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
459 reviews
from US$104.80*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$148.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$299.60*
London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haethrow experience September 1st

My experience is that things have been back to near normal for some time.

The last temporary tent was taken away from Gatwick North Terminal at the weekend - though this hadn't been used for sometime they seemed to have kept it there 'just in case' - until this weekend.

The one thing speaking to people that has changed and is having a slight knock on effect at peak times is the much stricter policing of vehicles entering the airports and where they are being allowed to drop off/pick up etc.

Delays into the South Terminal at Gatwick especially can be real, road traffic yesterday morning peak tailed back 1 mile onto the motorway taking 20 minutes to enter this terminal by vehicle.

Again, especially early morning peak at Heathrow there are often queues into the new T3 car park that clog up entry in the central area for all vehicles coming through the tunnel.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Haethrow experience September 1st

I've flown through Heathrow twice in the last 2 weeks and it's been fine.

The queues and disruption were much worse at Chicago O'Hare last Thursday.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
192 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haethrow experience September 1st

Thanks for this information -its certainly good to know things are getting back to "normal" !

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haethrow experience September 1st

I flew back to the US on Aug 24 from Heathrow Terminal 3. The queues weren't too bad for security checks when I went through. I asked about it and the woman there told me that I was just there at the right time (7:30AM). She said that at times the queues are still miles long.

ajeleonard, I have to go through Chicago's O'Hare airport whenever I'm en route from/to London...I hate it, hate it, hate it!! Did I say I hated it?? LOL>. ;) Worst is the fact that it takes bloody forever for the luggage to come down the carousels. Twice I've missed connections because of it.

5. Re: Haethrow experience September 1st

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 22:18