We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting a rail ticket from Edinburgh to London?

Burbank
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Getting a rail ticket from Edinburgh to London?

Greetings all.

I had asked over in the Scotland forum about getting a train ticket from Edinburgh to London. They mentioned this site:

http://www.gner.co.uk/GNER to buy in advance and then you can pick your ticket up at the Edinburgh location when you are ready to go..but they said you need to enter a London post code to buy the ticket! I thought the trains would just come into a major station like Kings Cross or something. What postcode do I enter? Ultimately I will be staying in Paddington but I figured I would get a tube connection from Kings Cross or whereever the train stops.

Thanks in advance for your replies. :)

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,598 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting a rail ticket from Edinburgh to London?

Use your hotel's address (if needed) and post code. GNER trains will arrive at King's Cross, not to worry, but the computer systems need UK info to book tickets.

You may have to ensure that you give your credit card billing address as different from the address (or post code) used to book the ticket, or else the system will reject the transaction.

Once again, the (non) triumph of machine over sensibility.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
560 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting a rail ticket from Edinburgh to London?

I was able to book via Virgin Trains (same tickets) without a London address.

Burbank
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting a rail ticket from Edinburgh to London?

Do the Virgin trains start at Edinburgh city center and end up at Kings Cross?

Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting a rail ticket from Edinburgh to London?

The post code business is to set up the account to buy the ticket. Use any London post code you can find. You can then change the address in your profile to your true address--it is some sort of quirk on the system, but it is easy to use nevertheless. There was a recent thread on this, which I will try to find for you.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting a rail ticket from Edinburgh to London?

Check out this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k76779…

There is a post on the second page that details how to enter your non UK address.

And yes, the train will stop at Kings Cross. You can take the tube from there or the 205 bus to Paddington. It is a lovely train ride, by the way.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,598 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting a rail ticket from Edinburgh to London?

All the long distance trains to London will depart from Waverley Station - which is very very central, just a few steps from Princes Street. Also the second largest station in the UK, just behind Waterloo.

London
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting a rail ticket from Edinburgh to London?

i book tickets on thetrainline.com

It's the national rail ticket agent, just put our ticket for EDINBURGH WAVERLEY to London (ANY) and the various optionswill show up. \direct trains from \edinburgh to \london will be by GNER, and they start from £12.50 for a single.

Virgin may offer a service, but it would involve a change.

Burbank
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting a rail ticket from Edinburgh to London?

I just was looking into Virgin:

https:/…

No change, but a longer journey time. 17.50 GBP one way. This seems much easier than this post code business!!! They drop you off at London Euston.

London
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting a rail ticket from Edinburgh to London?

london euston is 5 mins walking from london kings cross

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting a rail ticket from Edinburgh to London?

A few more pointers:

1) The reason several of us are suggesting booking with one of the train operating companies (such as GNER or Virgin Trains) is to avoid the booking fee now charged by thetrainline.com. Apart from the booking fee is somewhat immaterial who you book with as they all access the same train / ticket database.

2) GNER operate services between London Kings Cross and Edinburgh via the East Coast Mainline (ECML) i.e. via York.

3) Vigin trains operate one (1) direct train in each direction between London Euston and Edinburgh via the West Coast Mainline (WCML) i.e. via Crewe and Carstairs. There are many slots throughout the day when travel between London and Edinburgh can be made via this route but they require a single change of trains, normally at Preston or Lancaster.

4) On average the trip to Edinburgh is currently between 30 and 60 minutes faster using GNER services via York; this differential will be eliminated in the next 2 years as modernisation of northern section of WCML is completed reducing journey times between London Euston and Edinburgh to as little as 4 hrs. I understand that Virgin Trains will then operate additional direct services.

5) It's perfectly possible to book tickets for GNER services on Virgin Train's website and vice versa but currently GNER are offering an additional 10% discount on their cheapest fares for those booking online - I'm not sure if Virgin Trains would offer this same discount if using their site to book GNER services.