We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Itinerary in a Nutshell --

Schaumburg, Illinois
Level Contributor
200 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
My Itinerary in a Nutshell --

This is what I did each day, let me know if you have any questions. Prerty much went all day, except for theater nights, came back to hotel for a few hours before going back out. Took about 700 pictures!! Will post more on topics that may be of interest to those planning.

Friday –

Arrived in London 8:30, tube to hotel, Kensington Palace, Orangery for tea, walk gardens, scout out restaurants and grocery stores in the area

Saturday –

Golden Tours, general London – Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, Thames cruise, London Eye

Sunday –

Buckingham Palace tour, walk mall to Trafalgar Square, ate at the Crypt, National Gallery, Pub Meet

Monday –

British Museum, St. Paul’s, Tate Modern, Wagamama for dinner, Jack the Ripper Walk

Tuesday –

Premium Tours, Windsor, Bath and Stonehenge

Wednesday –

Cabinet War Rooms, Parliament, dinner at an Italian restaurant (Lorenzo’s?) on Cromwell near Gloucester Road tube, saw Billy Elliott

Thursday –

Hampton Court, Evensong at Westminster, Harrods

Friday –

Golden Tours, Canterbury, Leeds Castle, Dover

Saturday –

Changing of the Guards, British Library, Madame Tussards

Sunday –

Globe Theater Tour, strolled along the river, Dali Universe, Tower Bridge Tour, Piccadilly Circus, dinner at the Stockpot

Monday –

Walked the shopping areas around Bond/Oxford Street, Fortnum and Masons, Selfridges, Marble Arch, Covent Garden, Porters for dinner, saw Producers

Tuesday –

V&A Museum, left for the airport at 12:00pm

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Kensington Palace
Kensington Palace
4,369 Reviews
London, UK
The Orangery
The Orangery
1,306 Reviews
London, UK
Golden Tours
Golden Tours
6,458 Reviews
London, UK
Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey
18,725 Reviews
London, UK
Tower of London
Tower of London
52,803 Reviews
London, UK
Coca-Cola London Eye
Coca-Cola London Eye
70,783 Reviews
London, UK
Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace
22,850 Reviews
London, UK
Trafalgar Square
Trafalgar Square
7,031 Reviews
London, UK
National Gallery
National Gallery
32,368 Reviews
London, UK
St Paul's Hotel
St Paul's Hotel
550 Reviews
London, UK
Tate Modern
Tate Modern
8,514 Reviews
London, UK
Ripping Yarns - Jack the Ripper Tours
Ripping Yarns - Jack the...
792 Reviews
London, UK
Premium Tours - London Tours
Premium Tours - London...
3,968 Reviews
London, UK
Windsor
Windsor
Windsor and Maidenhead, UK
Cromwell International Hotel
Cromwell International...
1,048 Reviews
London, UK
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cotswolds, UK
Hampton by Hilton London Waterloo
Hampton by Hilton London...
3,147 Reviews
London, UK
Westminster
Westminster
4,279 Reviews
London, UK
Harrods
Harrods
14,565 Reviews
London, UK
Canterbury
Canterbury
Kent, UK
Leeds Castle
Leeds Castle
3,873 Reviews
Maidstone, UK
Dover
Dover
Kent, UK
British Library
British Library
3,367 Reviews
London, UK
Tower Bridge
Tower Bridge
29,543 Reviews
London, UK
Piccadilly Circus
Piccadilly Circus
4,913 Reviews
London, UK
Oxford Street
Oxford Street
4,217 Reviews
London, UK
Selfridges
Selfridges
1,636 Reviews
London, UK
Marble Arch
Marble Arch
498 Reviews
London, UK
Covent Garden
Covent Garden
18,561 Reviews
London, UK
Savage London
Gift & Speciality Shops
Broadway Market
Flea & Street Markets
Oxfam Bookshop
Gift & Speciality Shops
Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Itinerary in a Nutshell --

The question is though, did u have a good time?

Your unemotional response indicates maybe not

Schaumburg, Illinois
Level Contributor
200 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Itinerary in a Nutshell --

Oh my goodness, no!!!!! The trip was just fantastic, please read my "Travel Fairy" post. No it was FANTASTIC. London has always been my favorite city in the world and still maintains that status after this trip. Due to costs, I said when planning it would be my last trip there, but I changed my mind and already thinking about how and when to get back there. Despite the costs and terrible exchange rate for the US, it is worth every penny, and then some!!!

I went with a friend who had never been there and she, too, was just amazed with everything and left loving London as much as I do.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Boston...
Level Contributor
985 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Itinerary in a Nutshell --

MKK, I'm also returning to London with a friend who's never been (she's actually never been overseas at all). I can't wait to see her reaction! Did your London blow your friend's mind or what?

I agree with you too...although the exchange rate is killing us, I'll definitely be plotting how to get back ASAP (although, my hubby, who hates flying and hates cities thinks I'm off my rocker...hence my travelling w/ girlfriends)!!!!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
out & about
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My Itinerary in a Nutshell --

hi mkk:

how did you find the london city tour with golden? how long was it, what was the cost, and did you get off at each attraction? we're planning to do the hop on and off tour with (probably) big bus, but i thought the only other option was the original bus tour co.

also, how was stonehenge and bath? ive heard differing opinions. if we do a day trip, thatll be it, but im also thinking there is so much to do in the city that we might not head out. 5.5 days is going to whiz by - i just know it!

thx

Boston...
Level Contributor
985 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Itinerary in a Nutshell --

xplors, I did the Stonehenge, Bath, Salisbury tour through Golden Tours the last time I was in London. I don't think I'd recommend it, and here's why:

Stonehenge I think is a worthwhile stop (unlike a lot of people). Although this tour didn't allow you to go right up to the stones, being in the presence of something that was built 5,000 years ago was awe-inspiring to me (and my friend). Just imagining the generations of people who fought to complete it boggled my mind (especially as us modern folk can't figure out the purpose). We were there about 45 minutes which was perfect.

We then travelled to Salisbury, which was absolutely gorgeous. The cathedral is breathtaking and it was fantastic to be allowed to take pictures. I really regret not having time to walk around the town as it looked very picturesque. However, due to people getting back to the bus late, our time was limited...a theme to be carried over to Bath.

I felt like the Griswalds doing Bath! We only had about an hour to walk around before the bus left (now a combination of dawdlers & the fact that the bus drivers are only allowed to drive a limited amount of time). We did take a quick tour of the Roman Baths, and popped into a shop that caught our eye, but that was pretty much it.

So disappointing! Bath is so beautiful and unique that I wished I could have spent a full day there (and there were people that joined our group in Bath that had overnighted there). We brought home our pictures and my better-travelled friends confirmed that it looked like parts of Rome. Ah, to have been able to really explore!

So I wouldn't do the tour again just because your time ends up so limited (unless you took the overnight option). I, like you have decided to skip it this time since I have 5 days in London and want to dedicate myself to seeing the city (except for a day to go to Windsor...which at 30 minutes away, is worth it!).

I will definitely make a day trip out to Bath when I have time to really dedicate to it!

That was my experience at any rate!

Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,255 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Golden Tours
Golden Tours
6,458 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Windsor
Windsor
Windsor and Maidenhead, UK
UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Itinerary in a Nutshell --

What is the Exchange rate today

what was it a year ago?

Gerlis

NEPA
Level Contributor
180 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Itinerary in a Nutshell --

Which Ripper tour did you take?

I'm planning on the one from London Walks but I see that Grayline does one also. I emailed Grayline and they have a Golden Tours email address so I'm wondering if they are one and the same.

Mentioned in this post
London Walks
London Walks
1,687 Reviews
London, UK
Golden Tours
Golden Tours
6,458 Reviews
London, UK
Boston...
Level Contributor
985 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Itinerary in a Nutshell --

marykate'smom, I went on the London Walks Ripper tour with Donald Rumbelow and it was FANTASTIC, So good in fact that I'll be going on it again on Sunday since I'm travelling w/ a friend who's never been to London.

Highly recommended.

Gerlis, excellent point about the exchange rate. Not significantly different than it was the last time I travelled to London 2 years ago...still very expensive, tho!

:-)

Mentioned in this post
London Walks
London Walks
1,687 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Long Beach, CA
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Itinerary in a Nutshell --

MMK...sounds like a great trip.

Would your recommend the Golden Tours, Canterbury, Leeds Castle, Dover?

Mentioned in this post
Golden Tours
Golden Tours
6,458 Reviews
London, UK
Canterbury
Canterbury
Kent, UK
Leeds Castle
Leeds Castle
3,873 Reviews
Maidstone, UK
Dover
Dover
Kent, UK
Schaumburg, Illinois
Level Contributor
200 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Itinerary in a Nutshell --

Fran, I did a post on the three tours I did. Let me know if you have additional questions.