We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What the airport situation is really like --

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Schaumburg, Illinois
Level Contributor
197 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What the airport situation is really like --

No where near as bad as I thought it would be. Everywhere there are these box things for you to see if your carryon is the right size. It is basically the shape of a decent sized laptop case. You can get the actual dimensions on the airlines websites. I had a rolling cosmetics bag which was correct in the length and width but was deeper. I had no trouble getting on with it. At many points airport people asked you about cosmetics, but bags were not searched. There were lots of people working and things were organized and efficient. There was fairly thorough body search done.

I traveled with another girl and we combined some packing. We each had our larger suitcase and then we combined in one smaller suitcase that we checked all the cosmetic type stuff that needed to be checked and combined one carryon things we wanted to have with us. It worked out well.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What the airport situation is really like --

MKK: Since airport people didn't search bags for cosmetics, did you notice anyone on the plane using lip balm or any other forbidden product that they had packed in their carry on?

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What the airport situation is really like --

I know this is really bad but I am flying home to NZ for christmas and if the situation hasn't changed I am going to attempt to smuggle lip balm through security. I get terrible dry skin and lips on longhaul flights and would be in so much discomfort without it. I've accepted the fact that I won't be able to take moisturiser but can't deal with dry, sore, cracked lips for 24 hours.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What the airport situation is really like --

You probably should have a look at your airlines website for current restrictions. My sister flew from Scotland to Wales last week on BMI and being daft as a brush took her cosmetics in her carry-on bag.

The whole lot was confiscated, and nothing cheap either! Some airports allow you to buy stuff airside and carry it on, but some don't and confiscate whats bought airside too - there has been so much confusion.

Longhaul carriers may give out toiletries and moisturisers on board, you never know your luck!

London
Level Contributor
401 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What the airport situation is really like --

Londongirl - are you flying via the US ? If not, you can take moisturisers and lip balms on board provided you buy them in the departure lounge, and not before the security checkpoints.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
618 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What the airport situation is really like --

Hey Londongirl - 7 to 8 hours on a transatlantic flight is nothing compared to 20+ hours getting back home to NZ!

I totally sympathise with you. I would wait until it gets closer to Christmas before stressing out too much though - you never know the rules might change.

Also, are you going via the States or Asia? If you are going via Asia, then you will be able to buy products in duty free to take with you. Also, I flew to Germany a week ago and took a lip balm (solid not liquid) with me and didn't have a problem. I think though that if you tried to take through your whole cosmetic purse you might be in trouble ;)

Could you get a letter from your doctor saying that you need to use a chapstick to moisturise your lips because of a medical condition?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What the airport situation is really like --

my experience this weekend was a little different - I was only flying domestic too

I left from LGA midafternoon on Friday. it took me less than 10 minutes to check in, drop off my bag, and get through securty. No one asked if I had any banned items - they just let me through. The only time banned items were mentioned was when boarding the plane.

Coming back, same thing - no lines at all. Again I wasn't asked about banned items. But I did notice people in the next row on the plane with a little shopping bag of water and yogurt (both items are banned). I'm not sure how they got on the plane, but I would imagine a little lip balm should be able to make it through. So next time I fly and if they ask - I'll just play dumb and act like I fogot that I had it.

As for carryons - people had their regular rolling suitcases (all bigger than the restricted amount) and many people had 2 bags (1 suitcase and 1 laptop bag). Again no one said a thing.

Wendi

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What the airport situation is really like --

As a matter of interest BA are still selling tickets through London with a connection only allowing 3 hours between landing at Heathrow and taking off at Gatwick.

e.g. tomorrow we've got a party arriving at LHR from San Francisco at 13:00 and flying BA out of Gatwick to Athens at 16:00.

They've been assured by BA there will be no problem.

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What the airport situation is really like --

Thanks for the update, MKK. I was just wondering about that this morning, even though I have no current flight plans, or even prospects.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What the airport situation is really like --

My flight goes via LA so the restrictions apply to me at the moment. Hoping they change by christmas.....

Schaumburg, Illinois
Level Contributor
197 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What the airport situation is really like --

The girl I traveled with had a very small tube of lip balm - she can't be without it. It was in her purse that went through the scanner and nothing was said.