We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways Luggage Policy

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
British Airways Luggage Policy

You may remember that a few weeks ago British Airways let us know about some upcoming changes to their checked and excess baggage policy. As the restrictions on what can be carried onboard tightened following the recent security alert, they have decided to delay the implementation of this new baggage policy.

The new cabin baggage restrictions have an impact on what must be checked in, so this delay will allow them to discuss a long-term solution with the Department for Transport and the BAA.

As a reminder, for flights from UK airports, cabin baggage is restricted to one bag measuring a maximum of 45cm x 35cm x 16cm. A full list of prohibited items can be found on http://www.ba.com.

For more information on baggage allowances please visit

britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_gb

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Airways Luggage Policy

KES: Thanks for the updates. Since I'm not flying until November, hopefully the restrictions on cosmetics, lotions, etc. will be lifted. I know, wishful thinking.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,911 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Airways Luggage Policy

'shaker, thank you +++++ for posting this. I had been squinting at ba.com (trying to see around corners and peek at memos) and rather hoped they'd come to this decision, and am very pleased that they've done so.

Will hazard a guess that crew at check in desks will be blissful that the potential unpleasantness of 11 October will be delayed. And now on to sorting out the War Against Hand-Cream.

northern Virginia
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: British Airways Luggage Policy

I just got off the phone with British Airways from a 10 minute hold of flamingo music with continual interruptions to inform me that 1) I could do whatever it was I wanted to do on their website instead of incurring massive fees by wanting to talk to a human being (not true in this case, but it's a long story) and 2) informing me of the current baggage policies. Only from what they were saying, (and believe me, I've heard that statement enough to have parsed it thoroughly by now), fluids are still prohibited on flights from the US to England but not from England to the US!

They go through the England to US flights and then only mention fluids at all when they are talking about the US to England. That makes no sense at all. I think it was just a poorly-worded statement on their part.

I guess the only thing to do is check the day you are scheduled to fly.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: British Airways Luggage Policy

With all this nonsence about carry-ons and restricted/banned items of toiletries in our bags, the following may interest you.

Don't know if you can view it on broadband or just have to read it to get the gist of the story.

channel4.com/news/…index.html

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: British Airways Luggage Policy

As far as the liquids thing is concerned the best people to check with are BAA as it is they who are responsible for implementing it at security, not BA.

Nothing has changed in that regard in either direction, no liquids, gels, cosmetics etc. Although the TSA has relented to allow lip balm on US departing flights.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,266 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Airways Luggage Policy

Anemone,

I saw this and it was mostly a rehash of how police caught a gang who were executing a major heist some years ago. Somehow (in the last few minutes of the hour long programme) it got linked to one particular area where there does appear to be potential for security breaches. The restricted document refered to on the website is several years old.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,911 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Airways Luggage Policy

Although it's a bit of a lateral move from KEshaker's excellent post, here's a little something about NGCW (New Generation Club World, as opposed to NCW [New] which is the current model) (no, I don't know who dreams up these things, but it's not me):

…timesonline.co.uk/art...2344236,00.html

There is mention of the new AVOD (audio visual on demand) product, which should be in all cabins, not just for F and J pax. Additions like this to the soft product can make a substantial difference to those who fly, and it's about time the airlines made improvement for all pax, not just those in premium cabins.

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
853 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: British Airways Luggage Policy

I've read through the BA website but I still have a question. For example, can I still bring my purse and a carry on bag? Or would my purse already count as the one baggage maximum limit? It doesn't answer this question on the website, so I'm just curious as we're leaving next weekend. Anyone had any experiences? Also, how is travel from London to other European Destinations? thanks for any responses!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,911 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: British Airways Luggage Policy

As long as your carryon bag is within the size limits stated, you should be all right with that and a handbag. From ba.com: 'passengers will be able to carry one briefcase, laptop carrier bag or equivalent on all flights.' Your outbound flight from North America will have the current restrictions in place, with respect to liquids, gels and such, but a handbag and carryon should be all right.

Once you're flying out of a UK airport, the restrictions get a bit tighter. If you go to ba.co.uk (the UK home page), click on the Site Index, then select Baggage. On the following page you'll see a paragraph starting 'Following the introduction by the UK.....'; click on the blue highlighted phrase Click here for latest information. A new page will open that has the most up to date info posted.

There are BA desks at LHR T1 and T4, in the Departures areas, with staff who can give you info if things change in the next few days.

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
853 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: British Airways Luggage Policy

Thanks TravellerPlus for your response. Much appreciated!!