We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Tickets

California
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Train Tickets

We are in London for 5 days and maybe 7.. What is the best idea for tickets for the Train? (The Tube Right?)..

We are thinking of taking one day to take the train to Paris.. Any thoughts?

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Tickets

Do you actually want train tickets or London Underground tickets (The Tube is LU, not normal trains).

If you want to go to Paris, Eurostar (www.eurostar.co.uk) is the service.

California
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Tickets

Which is best to get around and visit where we wish?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,796 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Tickets

Hi Wayne,

reading your other post about things to do in London, you seem to be interested in visiting Stratford, Windsor, Stonehenge and now Paris: none of which are in London. paris isn't even in the same country, although it is only a 5 hour return trip by Eurostar. It doesn't give you much time in paris. why not stop for a night in paris while you are travelling round Europe if thats where you want to go?

You are likely to see lots of our motorways or trains if you do that amount of travelling in such a short time.

I would have thought a great capital like London might have enough to keep you interested for 5 or 7 days. You don't seem to have any preferences for what you want to see, apart from Changing of the Guard (which takes about 30 minutes). Maybe a quick look at "London Attractions" on the page/screen may give you some ideas. Or read some of the many trip reports posted here.

for travel in London, look at the Transport for London web site www.tfl.gov.uk.

for train travel anywhere, the best site is www.seat61.com

Enjoy

California
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Tickets

Thanks.. We are wide open to any ideas.. Been scheduling our entire trip this way and for US it has been perfect.. Talked to others who used tours and almost all of them were miserable.. Rome was wonderful as we did what we wanted, where we wanted and when..

Thank you so much for your note.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Tickets

I've just seen your other post. Personally I think you're trying to do too much outside London. Get a guide book and you'll see there are plenty of things to keep you amused here - Parliament, Westmister Abbey, Buckingham Palace, London Eye, Trafalgar Square, Picadilly Circus, Harrods, Tower of London, Tower Bridge, HMS Belfast, Madame Tussauds just to name a few.

Within London you'll need an Oystercard with a 7 day Travelcard loaded onto it. This gives you unlimited travel on the Tube, buses, DLR, and trains within the zones you choose (1&2 usually suffice). See the link in the other post for the Transport for London page.

If you do decide to go to Windsor (or anywhere else) then just buying the individual tickets you need is best.

California
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Tickets

Thank you VERY much.. I will get a book.. BTW: Exactly where is

Abbey Road?

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Tickets

For the out of London trips I suggest you stay near a main rail station and visit places you can get to from that.

Paddington is quite convenient if you come into Heathrow airport - access to places like Stratford I think.

Victoria is convenient for Gatwick if the Express is still running, this would give access to the South.

Unfortunately Paris is accessed through Waterloo station which isn't vey convenient for an airport, and its 30-60 minutes cross town from Paddington.

Thr National Rail map will show you which destinations can be reached from each terminus.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,171 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Tickets

"Exactly where is Abbey Road?"

Abbey Road is located a mile or so north west of central London. It is easy to reach by tube (Jubilee Line to St John's Wood followed by a 5 minute walk - there are directions printed on a board at the station) or bus (the 139 and 189 both go up and down Abbey Road) from Oxford Circus. The studios are not usually open to the public but that iconic photo opportunity is of course free.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Tickets

In London & nearby you will need 5-7 days to see many of the sites. There are numeous forums on places to vist in London & nearby - & some great tips from other visitors.

I would concentrate on this area & maybe a trip in future to visit Paris, Rome & other European cities. If you try to do do much, you will waste a lot of time travelling.

10. Re: Train Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 08:16