We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train-challenged question

northern Virginia
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Topic
Train-challenged question

Okay, I'll admit it. I live out in the Washington D.C. 'burbs. I drive everywhere. I do occasionally take the Metro into D.C. for various activities. I can handle that. But trains seem to leave me totally mistified. So here goes....

Somebody kindly posted the link , http://nationalrail.co.uk/index.html, to check on train schedules and I was trying to figure out times from Paddington to Windsor. I put in those names and got a message back telling me my station was ambiguous. Do I want to go to Windsor and Eton Central or Windsor and Eton Riverside when where I really want to go is Windsor Castle?

I guarantee this won't be my last train question.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train-challenged question

according to the Windsor Castle website - you want Windsor Central:

http://www.windsor.gov.uk/transport/train.htm

www.royalcollection.org.uk/default.asp…

The second webpage has a nice map that shows you where each station is.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train-challenged question

You can actually go to either, they are both only a short stroll to the castle.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train-challenged question

LOL - Reading UK train timetables is a skill that takes years of study!

If I've got it right - you can go from London PADDINGTON but then you need to change trains at Slough and go on the Windsor & Eaton Central. But you can go from London WATERLOO straight to Windsor and Eaton Riverside.

Both stations are very close to the Castle so it depends on which London station is more convenient for you.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train-challenged question

Oh, another thing to mention, when you buy your train tickets ask the clerk for the combined train and castle tickets. It saves you money on the entrance fee and you also don't have to line up for tickets at the entrance, you show your ticket, go through security then there is a counter where you can exchange the ticket they gave you at the train station for an official castle ticket.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train-challenged question

From Paddington - Windsor & Eton Central

From Waterloo - Windsor & Eton Riverside

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train-challenged question

Try www.seat61.com

Much more enjoyable and has photos, too!

northern Virginia
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train-challenged question

Thanks, everybody. I may actually make it to Windsor now. Although I haven't tried to get through the trauma of actually buying a ticket and finding the right train yet....*fingers crossed*

peterscot, I tried that seat61 site earlier and got an error -- couldn't connect to the server -- I'll try it again later.

This trip is going to be an adventure.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train-challenged question

You don't have to buy your ticket in advance, it is the same price as if you buy it on the day. If you figure out at what times past the hour the trains leave London just turn up intending to catch the next one. I'm not sure where you are staying but if you let us know we can tell you if Paddington or Waterloo would be more convenient.

Elizabethville...
Level Contributor
199 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train-challenged question

I've been using the www.transportdirect.info website for identifying potential train / bus trips. It seems to have a user-friendly journey planner.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train-challenged question

AKat, please see my post here (3rd post down thread) where I costed out rail travel from London to Windsor and lower down the thread the combined rail / entrance pass was discussed: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k78223…