We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time from Gloucester to Buckingham?

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Time from Gloucester to Buckingham?

Now we're in the final days before leaving and my commando timing as tour director for my family is going into overdrive...

I have a 10:15 time to see Buckhingham Palace on a Friday...we're staying near Gloucester tube...can I make it over there if we leave at 9:30? Would I just take the tube to Victoria and walk up to BP? Trying to avoid paying for extra fees to do tube earlier...since buses are free all day for them...could we just get on a bus at 8:30 and make it over there in time? Anyone know a bus line that would take me by there? I foresee me asking the hotel (HI Kens. Forum-highly busy and not reknown for their desk service) and being directed to the wrong bus and missing our times...

Thanks!! I apologize for the amount of anal detail I'm putting into this, but with 5 days in London and 23 things to see...I've got to! :)

Tara

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Time from Gloucester to Buckingham?

First of all stop truncating place names, you're just confuusing people. Gloucester is a city in SW England and the correct name of the Queen's residence is Buckingham Palace.

You are staying near the Gloucester ROAD tube station. To get to Buckingham Palace you can either take the Picadilly Line to Green Park and walk south, or take the District Line to Victoria and walk north (but more confusuing). Both tube journeys are about 10 minutes with a further 10 minutes walk so you have plenty of time if you leave at 9.30.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time from Gloucester to Buckingham?

Ouch! That's Tara told, then!

Seriously, Londoners would prefer it if visitors would use the correct name for places, roads etc. It could be confusing at stations etc when asking for directions, tickets and the like, as many London streets are named after cities and towns and . As ajeleonard says, there is a city called Gloucester and there is a town called Buckingham. Calling Oxford Street "Oxford" is another example, as is "Cromwell" for Cromwell Road. I'm sorry, but it does make us wince a bit!

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time from Gloucester to Buckingham?

Oh! What's gotten up your craw this morning? Have any of you ever heard of abbreviation/act of truncating for sake of time? Yes, I could have put Gloucester TUBE and Buckingham Palace in the title...but I was trying to keep the title from being too LOOONG....

And have you two forgotten that this is the LONDON forum??? Can you not make the leap that Gloucester and Buckingham would mean the TWO in LONDON????

In my text I clearly delineate TUBE and PALACE! I am so sorry if it caused you angst to try and help a traveler going to those rather than to a town in another part of England outside of London. I mean no disrespect but if I am going to be greeted in London with folks that are first going to reprimand me for not adding the word Palace when I ask for directions...why am I spending my hard earned money over there?

Give me a break, I'm trying to help your country through the tourist dollar.

Tara...can you tell that I've got a lot to do in 3 days and being chastised on a travel forum is not helping?

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Time from Gloucester to Buckingham?

I wasn't chastising, simply pointing out that unike in America, place names aren't abbreviated here, simply because there may be a Gloucester Road, Gloucester Street, Gloucester Avenue etc.

Furthermore you stated that you are staying near "the Gloucester tube" which is not correct. There is no Gloucester tube.

In fact when I first read your post I did actually think you were trying to get from the city of Gloucester to a place called Buckingham. If you want to come here and seem culturally ignorant then that is up to you.

If I really wanted to chastise you I could have pointed out that the information you requested could have easily been found out yourself by going to the TfL website, but I just posted the information you wanted.

If you don't want to learn anything on here then that is up to you, but I am not one for mollycoddling people. I couldn't care less if you are "spending your tourist dollar" here. Do you think individuall members of the forum should display personal gratitude for your "benevolence". Come on!

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time from Gloucester to Buckingham?

Hi Tara: I'm sorry - my post wasn't aimed at you in particular. Of course I know you meant Gloucester Road and Buckingham Palace in this instance. It certainly was not my intention to offend you and I sincerely apologise if that 's how it came across.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time from Gloucester to Buckingham?

Thanks Orkney! I appreciate your kindness...and I am so sorry leonard that I was scanning so quickly over the two responses that seemed to start out and end with criticisms of the manner I posted that I totally missed your great directions on the tube.

It's four days before my trip, I get a $2800 bill from the emergency room visit for my daughter who the doctors feared had meningitis last week, my dog needs his rabies and the vet's office lost my appt and is trying to reschedule, I have had events each night where I am a teacher/leader/organizer/volunteer which has zapped any time...and I simply come on here to ask a simple question.

Why can't people simply answer the question asked and cut out all the muck in between?

I thank you for answering but I plead with you to guard your answers in the future to restrain from prefacing your "help" with complaints or rudeness...nothing in my original post was aimed at rudeness and to be responded to on a day like this is rather disheartening.

Thank you and forgive me if I jumped to soon at being jumped on.

Tara

Boston...
Level Contributor
928 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time from Gloucester to Buckingham?

I agree that you shouldn't be "jumped on" but in all fairness I have to confess that I did interpret your post as asking for the time to travel from the town of Gloucester to Buckingham (which I had no idea about). So I didn't open your thread for the longest time (actually only just did so since I'm eating lunch and am delving deep in the forum!).

But once I did read your post, I realized that I knew the answer all along and could have helped you.

So in the spirit of answering the question succinctly, it would help if the question itself were made clear.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,037 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time from Gloucester to Buckingham?

Funtoschool, if you're staying at one of the Holiday Inns, they're not much more than a three minute stroll from the tube station, so yes, you could catch the tube (any eastbound District or Circle line) at 0930 - Victoria is only three stops along.

If you wanted a bit more of a scenic journey, you could take the number 49 bus towards Hammersmith from the stop right in front of the tube station (not the one across the road in front of the pub). Get off the 49 when it turns on to High St Kensington, cross the road and catch a number 52 to Victoria from the stop in front of the Royal Garden Hotel.

Alternately the number 74 on the Cromwell Road will take you to Brompton Road, where you can catch a C1 (it's a little Hoppa bus, but it's a bus, and your Travelcards are accepted) that will take you right to Victoria station.

The stop for the number 74 is more or less across the road from the Kensington Forum - look for the little arcade of shops, with a laundrette and a couple of restos - the stop is there.

Buckingham Palace is about a ten minute walk from Victoria station. The number 52 may make a stop a bit closer to the palace than if you take it all the way to the station - the driver should be able to tell you.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time from Gloucester to Buckingham?

Thank you thank you!! That's just what I needed! I tried to find the best way through the busline site but it's much too confusing for someone that doesn't know diddly about the stops and their names.

I just greatly appreciate the time you took to help.

Tara

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,037 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time from Gloucester to Buckingham?

You're welcome.

I quite like the number 74, it's exceptionally useful. From the stop in front of Sainsbury's, it goes to South Kensington station, then past the V&A, along Knightsbridge, then circles round a v busy intersection (not quite a roundabout, but a bit messier) called Scotch House. From ther it heads to Hyde Park Corner, then turns along Park Lane towards Marble Arch. It circles the Arch, turns on to Oxford Street, then Gloucester Place to Baker Street. The stop at Hyde Park Corner is extremely useful if you want to change to a bus going towards Victoria or along Piccadilly: there are three or four stops there, so make sure you check to see which bus uses which stop.

The number 49 is also handy. If you want to go to the big M&S on High St Ken, stay on the bus after the stop across from the Royal Garden Hotel, and the next stop will drop you at M&S. The bus continues along the High Street.

The 74 towards Putney will stop just past Gloucester Road tube station, more or less outside the Kensington Forum. If you were to stay on that bus, it would make another stop on Cromwell Road, then turn on to Earl's Court Road - plenty of small shops there, plus the tube station. To take the 74 from Earl's Court tube station, though, you need to use the Warwick Road way out, as Earl's Court Road and Warwick Road and each one way, in oppo directions.

The C1 is a handy little bus that zips along the Old Brompton Road, Earl's Court Road and Warwick Road (eventually to High St Ken). If you catch it and want to change to the 74, do so at South Kensington station.

Gloucester Road tube station's ticket office area is tiny, but there is a rack with tube maps and Central London Bus Maps - as you walk into the station from Gloucester Road (as if you were coming from the Tesco), the rack is on the left, and another around a little corner. If you don't see the CLBMap, ask for one, they're incredibly useful. A London A to Z, a very complete street atlas in book form, will also come in quite handy to get your bearings and figure out where to go next. Available at all book shops and most newsagents.

One more thing - the patisserie, Paul, across Gloucester Road from the station, has exquisite pastries and savouries, but the swell Cafe Forum (same side of the road as the station, about a minute's walk south of it) offers a free croissant with coffee until 1100 every day. Nice little place.