We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow says "don't arrive too early"

Almonte, Ontario
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow says "don't arrive too early"

Having been caught in London during last month's bomb-plot schmozzle, I thought I'd check the Heathrow website to see what was in store for me when I go back this week. This prominent notice caught my attention:

"Passengers are asked to arrive at the airport no more than three hours before their flight is due to depart - arriving earlier will not speed up your journey and can add to delays."

Which is logical, I suppose -- no sense adding to the security congestion any earlier than necessary.

London, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow says "don't arrive too early"

Just to add we flew from Gatwick on Bank Holiday Monday, and it took under 5 mins to get through security, I don't think I've ever got through secuirty as quickly there

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow says "don't arrive too early"

most airline's check in will not begin for a flight more than 3 hours before departure so it would be pointless to arrive that early. The time waiting for security has dropped dramatically, it still takes longer at Heathrow than everywhere else but it is only as bad as it generally is during a busy period.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow says "don't arrive too early"

That's why I prefer Gatwick to Heathrow, ever so slightly less busy in peak season and a couple of times the departures lounge was positively zen-like off season. Heathrow reminds me of a disturbed Ant's nest!

Um...Brent? Was just looking closely at your avatar. Have you been staring at the pizza rising through the oven window again???

:-)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,006 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow says "don't arrive too early"

I was flying on the 12th August from LHR and was told to turn up early - I arrived only to be told that I couldn't check in until 2 hours before the flight and that I couldn't even stand in the queue before then.

Result was I joined the queue to checkin 2 hours before the flight & got to the gate 5 minutes before it was due to depart without any food, drink or reading materials. Got my seat & then the flight was delayed 90 minutes.

Grrgh

Almonte, Ontario
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow says "don't arrive too early"

Londonlass,

Glad you like my avatar. Or at least I think that's what you're saying :)

It actually has a London motif -- it's some sort of tribal mask that I saw hanging from a stall in an alleyway off Portobello Road a couple of years ago. It kind of caught my fancy, for some odd reason.

I also have a photo of a 12th century carving of Jesus that I took in the British Museum, and did give some thought to making that my avatar. But I decided some folks might take it the wrong way :) Great image, though.

6. Re: Heathrow says "don't arrive too early"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 08:18