We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London in Oct. & Nov. (weather)

:-D :-D
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
London in Oct. & Nov. (weather)

hi all

am planing to visit london on Oct 24 for around 10days, i need to know from the members and the experts about the weather in london at this period, specially am a person whol like to walk around and do some shopping with my wife,

will the weather will be cold & rainy at these days or not?

should i cancel my trip to london if the weather will be bad!!

appreciate your prompt response

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,459 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London in Oct. & Nov. (weather)

Cancel your trip due to weather? youre kidding right?!! :-)

its the UK autumn time during your trip, so expect anything - really!!, maybe rain, maybe blustery showers, maybe windy, maybe fog in the early morning and night, maybe a light frost in the suburbs (but not central london), maybe dry clear sunny days, maybe temps max up 10-15c.

Thats what is so unique about this place, you wake up and you just never know what weather youre gonna get!

so bring layers, an over coat and wet weather gear/shoes.

Enjoy your trip, but dont let the weather be your deciding factor!

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London in Oct. & Nov. (weather)

Fairly certain that snow unlikely.....

Swindon, England
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London in Oct. & Nov. (weather)

This is a good time of year to visit London as the sights and museums are less crowded.

If visiting for 10 days you may wish to travel to town(s) outside london on a few days e.g. Oxford, Bath, Windsor, Cambridge.

The weather is always unpredictable, you just adjust to it.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London in Oct. & Nov. (weather)

What is the worst weather you'll see in October/November? Cold? Bring layers and a coat. Wet? Bring an umbrella and/or rain jacket. Get used to using the tube and/or the bus system, and you'll be fine. You might not be able to walk around as much as you'd like, but that's no reason not to go.

I might bring my 10 yr. old the second week of November and the weather isn't even a consideration. So what if it's rainy and cold? You're in London!

Southcoast Mass
Level Contributor
175 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London in Oct. & Nov. (weather)

I always schedule my trips to London in the fall. Late October and early November seems to be the time I go every year. The weather

is cool you will need a light jacket. Dress in layers so you could take something off. I also do must of it walking and have found the less I wear the better (walking keeps the blood pumping and I rarely get cold).

Always bring an umbrella with you daily, you never know when you'll need it.

Where good comfortable well WORN IN shoes...DO NOT bring a new pair that you have not broken in yet, you may be sorry. Always bring a second pair of shoes, in case the first gets wet and doesn't dry completely overnight.

Don't let the rain thing wig you out!. It has NEVER ruined one of my trips, ever. Just go and have a great time!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London in Oct. & Nov. (weather)

Just to be the pessimist, we did have a hurricane once in October. Back in 1987, if memory serves.

Be prepared for rain, and for it being 'cool', but no way would I cancel a holiday for this! Try and get to some Hallowe'en event if you can - they'll be on the weekend before the 31st (to make the most money), although some National Trust properties are doing 'ghost walks' on the actual evening; providing dinner, and charging an arm and a leg. (Maybe that explains the headless horsemen charging around...)

UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London in Oct. & Nov. (weather)

it's suposed to be cold now - spent yesterday reading in the garden.

London ,being a city , it doesn't really matter if it is cold and wet - lots of indoor thigs to do / see. Espetially if you are shopping - you can eassily spend a couple of hours in Harrods

enjoy your stay

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London in Oct. & Nov. (weather)

I can assure you we Londoners dont stay inside just because its cold and rainy! English weather is notoriously difficult to predict. October is usually OK but it could be both in November but just wrap up and enjoy all the things that London has to offer. Otherwise come back instead in our summer.

:-D :-D
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: London in Oct. & Nov. (weather)

thank you all

will go to london :D :D

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London in Oct. & Nov. (weather)

Taking Halloween & Bonfire NIght as indicators, over the years it has tended to be misty damp rather than heavy rain.

Yes, we had a hurricane a few years ago & the tree loss was made worse because the recent weather had been unusually wet & the roots were waterlogged. I can't say that I remember drenched before the Big Breeze...

Very good advice about wearing well worn comfortable shoes. Should you have new shoes for your trip, then I suggest you spend a week or two prior to your trip putting a daily walk of roughly 3 miles per day on them - just an average short London walk. Do bring a spare pair in case you step in a puddle & need something to potter about in whilst your primary pair dry out (always stuff with crumpled newspaper & never leave close to source of heat).

London is a walker's city. Many locals think little of walking a couple of miles to walk & then back every day - easy on an average day to cover over 5 miles a day.

A couple of thin layers & a light waterproof windproof outer layer (maybe to mid thigh, certainly over the derriere), & perhaps a pair of light gloves (& scarf) if you come from determinedly warmer climes or have minimal resiliance to chills. You'll not be here long enough to adapt.

Forget the think chunky jumpers & coats in town - you'll boil as you go in/out repeatedly into public transport, museums & cafes etc. Your metabolism will not thank you - unneccesary stress. A few light layers, so you can adapt quickly, will serve you best.

Cannot go wrong with silk, cashmere, cotton & lambswool.