We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Bristol: How far?? Best way to go??

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
394 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
London to Bristol: How far?? Best way to go??

We'll be visiting London in June and would love to visit with some friends who live in Bristol. Could someone (one of our expert locals on this board perhaps) tell me how far the two cities are from each other, and what would the best way to travel there. ANother option being considered is meeting them halfway if the distance is too great. Any suggestions as to an interesting midway point? Thanks for the help.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Bristol: How far?? Best way to go??

London to Bristol is about 120 miles. There are plenty of interesting places between the two. Unfortunately, these are not very accessable by train. If your friends have a car, then Hungerford is a pleasant town. About 1 hour from Paddington by train and about the same from Bristol by car. Without a car, your friends would need to change at Reading which you will pass through.

However, the fastest train to Bristol only takes 15 minutes longer than the Hungerford one at 1 hour 22 !!

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Bristol: How far?? Best way to go??

I've explored Bristol on a day trip by train from London. It's an easy ride and there's lots to see in Bristol.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Bristol: How far?? Best way to go??

To give you an idea of the time, Paddington to Bath is 90 minutes by rail. And Bristol is just beyond Bath. Actually Bath might be a perfect spot to meet up with your friends. Have fun!

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
835 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Bristol: How far?? Best way to go??

Be careful which station you go to in Bristol - it has 2

Bristol Temple Meads is the nearest to the City Centre - though not as central as most city staions for some reason.

Bristol Parkway is way out on the outskirts of Bristol in the suburbs - really is a commuter station.

It depends where your friends live in Bristol and whether you want to meet them in the City Centre - if so go for Temple Meads and get them to meet you there.

Both stations are served by intercity fast trains - about 1 hour from London Paddington.

porto
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Bristol: How far?? Best way to go??

Last month i was visiting some friends in Bristol and i travel from london to bristol non-stop by coach. The coach departs from Victoria coach station in London and arrives right in the centre of Bristol. In Bristol the coach station is much close to the city centre than the train station. But be careful because the in Bristol you have to get off in the second stop. I booked in www.megabus.com and for a return ticket I paid 2£ which is very very inexpensive.

Toronto
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Bristol: How far?? Best way to go??

Hi -- I too am looking for the best way to travel from London to Bristol. I'm travelling with my husband and 4 year old son in mid-May. I've investigated the train and bus. Am very intrigued by the megabus rates. Can someone tell me why they are so much lower than every other method of travel? What are the disadvantages to the megabus?

Thanks!

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Bristol: How far?? Best way to go??

Monks,

If cost is a factor, I concur with jtfontes advice above.

Last January we were in London and some friends of ours in Bristol came by coach (that's english for bus) to visit us in London. Evidently it is MUCH cheaper than the train.

I like the idea of meeting them in Bath (still on my "to do" list) or Stonehenge (Ok, you would meet them in Salisbury, but wouldn't it be fun to say "Meet me at stonehenge on the Solstice?)

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Bristol: How far?? Best way to go??

Along with all the 1000s of other Solstice huggers.

I wonder how many people did turn up in ancient times at these sites for seasonal festivals ?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Bristol: How far?? Best way to go??

You will be just in time for the Rod Stewart concert in Bristol at Ashton Gate Stadium (the home of football)