We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Autumn Foliage

Newcastle, Maine
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Topic
Autumn Foliage

Will I experience Autumn Foliage on my trip to London Oct 18-24? Or will it have passed by then?

We're just starting to turn here in New England.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Autumn Foliage

I don't think our autumn foliage will be anything to shout about compared to yours Suz, though I think you will still catch some in late october.

I could be proved wrong of course - we've had major drought problems this year which could bring forward the leaf drop, but then again a shortage of water often makes it more colourful.

Ashbourne, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Autumn Foliage

You will if you come to the Peak District National Park in Derbyshire. We're getting the color changes here about as much as you are in Maine. I'm originally from California, but now live in the Peak District. England's countryside is breathtaking in Autumn. But you've got to get out of the big cities to see it. Go for it, the weather is still fairly decent in mid-October. But will get chilly.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,461 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Autumn Foliage

The best foliage is indeed to be found in the countryside. We lack the wonderful reds that make your fall (thanks for saying Autumn!)colours so jaw dropping but in a good year we do get some delightful colours. The Peak District is a tad too far for a day trip from London so probably the best two places that are easy to get to from central London are Epping Forest and Burnham Beeches. The later is surprisingly owned by The Corporation of London despite being some 25 miles west of London.

http://www.eppingforest.co.uk/

cityoflondon.gov.uk/corporation/…burnham.htm

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,590 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Autumn Foliage

I would add the Surrey hills to Adam's suggestions. They are easily reached by trains from Waterloo.

www.surreyhills.org

Having grown up next to Epping Forest and how living in Surrey I would vote for Surrey IMO. Commanding views can be had from Pewley Down which is a 10/15 minute walk from the train station.

Hard to say when the leaves will fall as the trees and hedgerows are acting like it is later in the year but your dates should be OK.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,231 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Autumn Foliage

Winkworth Arboretum in Farnham in Surrey has glorious Autumn colours.

UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Autumn Foliage

Back from Barcelona allready ?

nice din din ? Gerlis

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,590 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Autumn Foliage

Gerlis

This time I have to admit you have completely lost me and I thought I was doing so well with you :(

UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Autumn Foliage

Possibly ADHD

go back 1 or two entries

Gerlis

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,590 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Autumn Foliage

Gerlis

Thank you I thought I was going mad or the tax form had finally got to me.

Newcastle, Maine
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Autumn Foliage

Thanks all! I've heard of Surrey before. Isn't there a Nonsuch Park in Surrey? I read about it a long time ago.

I'm glad there will still be some foliage when I go. The furthest afield I have planned so far is a day at Hampton Court, but I could be persuaded...