We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An unconventional TALF - September 23rd

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,996 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
An unconventional TALF - September 23rd

Not quite knowing who was going to show meant that I arrived at The George armed with a list of alternative pubs for Mick and I to explore but I needn't have feared as a fine mix of regulars and newbies made welcome appearances albeit at different times. It felt a little like Victoria station, as one TALFer left another arrived.

Anyway, Mick was there when I arrived along with LindaOh (whom it was great to see again - Hope you made it to Greenwich this morning), GilliganUK who is now officially qualified to teach English as a foreign language (HURRAH!) and a delightful surprise in the form of ColoradoAnglophile and hubbie who had just arrived at Gatwick that morning and had driven to Tara's B&B in North Harrow and then taken the tube in. They were off to see The Woman In Black which should have kept them awake.

Drink and nibbles were consumed in roughly equal proportions on a delightfully warm evening on a large bench in the courtyard of this excellent pub. Before long Trillian arrived with her extended clan of 3 generations (some of whom who now live in Utah) including her dad who was telling me that he had worked at both Battersea Power Station and The British Museum, an interesting contrast.

Finally we were joined by Mike & Dan from the USAF with whom I had made contact earlier in the day. Mike is an Ohio State fan who was looking for somewhere to watch the game with Penn and was coming to London (3 weeks into a 3 year stretch) with his friends for a spot of R&R from Mildenhall (or was it Lakenheath?). Anyway whilst some of his other friends were finding somewhere to stay the night, he and Dan came down to The George where we briefed them on the way to get to Bodeans where the game was supposed to be shown live. Good luck guys and well done on the game result.

Jack1066 will be pleased to learn that Mike came close to being the first TALFer to actually dance on a table.

An early finish by TALF standards but my excuse was that I had been up since 5.30am but it was another extremely enjoyable evening. Next date for your diary - Monday October 16th at The Lamb which I will sadly miss but Britfan and Bedlace will be holding court and Mick will be holding the TALF sign.

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Mentioned in this post
Woman in Black
Woman in Black
516 Reviews
London, UK
Utah
Utah
United States
Mildenhall
Mildenhall
Wiltshire, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,364 Reviews
from US$130.60*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,131 Reviews
from US$139.30*
US$154.70
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
519 Reviews
from US$117.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
478 Reviews
from US$347.80*
Illinois
Level Contributor
638 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: An unconventional TALF - September 23rd

Great report, Adam. Thank you! Those of us who live only vicariously in London really appreciate hearing about your gatherings.

Why do you say "unfortunately" about not being able to attend on the 16th--as I recall, you should be in the great Northwest around then. Is that right? There's nothing unfortunate about that! :) (Now, if only I could get you to come see the great Midwest!)

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An unconventional TALF - September 23rd

Adam: Sounds like another fun meet. And almost dancing on the table -- wow! Any photos taken of the group?

Gilligan -- Congrats from me, too! Do you have a job lined up already?

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An unconventional TALF - September 23rd

Nice one Gill :)

.........hunky servicemen, arrgghh....drat ;)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,996 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An unconventional TALF - September 23rd

Wildmom.

That's right. We fly to Seattle on October 4th and will be back on the 21st. Trip reports and photos may follow!

Lee,

Linda took a couple of photos early on so I don't think Mike & Dan were in any - sorry Lara.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
7,806 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An unconventional TALF - September 23rd

It was delightful meeting ColoradoAnglophile and hubby and LindaOh yesterday. I hope you enjoyed the theatre and Greenwich, respectively. I'm sure Adam and Mick know they're delightful, so 'nuff said there! Yet again Trillian arrived just as I was leaving (what do you do, T, wait around the corner until you see me move? ☺) And blast! I missed men in uniform. Always was a sucker for men in uniform.

Thanks for the congratulations...I'm hoping to offer 'homestay tuition' next year ie I'll have a foreign guest staying in my home, so I'll do all the B&B bit, as well as providing him / her 3-5 hours of English tuition a day. Well, that's the idea anyway, plus private/group tuition locally. Just need to get DH to finish all the DIY!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: An unconventional TALF - September 23rd

Another great TALF meet! You didn't mention which ales were consumed though....details, details!!!

Gilligan? Would you learn me some good English? I need help. Lots of help. CONGRATS!!!! Where do I sign up for class?

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
7,806 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An unconventional TALF - September 23rd

Well, I really pushed the boat out - and had a pint of orange juice with lemonade (British lemonade, that is). Best of all, Mick paid for it! Thanks, Mick.

I have no idea what anyone else was drinking: I never notice those sorts of details. But Colorado had a beautiful pink top on and looked very groomed (in a way that I can never hope to achieve) And LindaOh is surely too young to be a grandmother. Gorgeous hair. Now those things I notice!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: An unconventional TALF - September 23rd

Adam: Too bad about not taking photos of the servicemen. But still would like to see the photos you did take. Thanks.

Gilligan: Homestay tuition? What a great idea!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
7,806 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: An unconventional TALF - September 23rd

Ah, now Linda took one photo, but she claims she has no idea how to get it onto cyberspace, so is unlikely to see the light of (TALF) day.

Hopefully we'll take lots of photos on Saturday.

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: An unconventional TALF - September 23rd

Typical.....where's the resident TALF photogragher when you need him?... Mick.....come on mate, you can do rowing boat's and churches....what about our visiting guests.......with or without uniform's ;).