We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crawley to London Victoria--3 Day Travelcards

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Crawley to London Victoria--3 Day Travelcards

I'm trying to plan my possible February trip to London with my 10 yr. old (but who will be 11 by the time we travel). One hotel possibility is in Crawley because I can get an amazing deal.

Can I get a 3 day travelcard going from Crawley to London or do I have to get 3 one day travelcards? We will be going into London on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I looked at the TFL website and it shows a 3 day travelcard for zones 1-D. Does Crawley fit into those zone areas? If so, am I right to think that my 3 day adult travelcard would be 20 GBP and my son's would be 6.80 GBP? I can't find a map that shows what areas those are.

Also, am I right to think that Family Railcards give a discount on these type of travelcards? But I'm thinking that it wouldn't give me enough of a discount to justify the 20 GBP price for the railcard. Does that sound right?

Thanks for your help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Crawley to London Victoria--3 Day Travelcards

You need to look at the southernrailway website, where they have details of tickets which get you from Crawley into the area covered by tfl and allow unlimited travel within the tfl area. Looks as though it would be a Family Travelcard for each day, and you have to leave Crawley after 09.30 to get the best deal.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crawley to London Victoria--3 Day Travelcards

Check carefully as you may well end up spending any savings on your hotel on the extra transport, not to mention the lost time travelling each day.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crawley to London Victoria--3 Day Travelcards

londongirl, I've already added up everything, and I would still save a lot of money. However, I really don't want to be that far out. But I do know that my son would love the train each day. But I would not.

Ah, decisions, decisions. I don't know what I'm going to do.

westlondoner, you mentioned a family travelcard. I was under the impression that those were done away with. Or is that just in London?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Crawley to London Victoria--3 Day Travelcards

yes, the daily Family Railcard is mentioned on the southernrailway website. I would guess it's around £12.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,643 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crawley to London Victoria--3 Day Travelcards

The extra time involved in getting from your hotel to Crawley station to Victoria to wherever in London you are going each day would surely negate any savings especially when added to the fact that you wouldn't be able to depart until 9.30 except at weekends. It's also an unexciting 45-50 minute train ride from Crawley.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crawley to London Victoria--3 Day Travelcards

agree with adam wholeheartedly. In my opinion to consider staying in Crawley is a big mistake. Its not a very nice place for starters, but the train into and out again is wasted time(40-60mins each way), and requires a change at Three Bridges to catch a Victoria or London Bridge service, plus by the time trains arrive at Three Bridges they are crammed full of commuters. Add in the extra cost too. Please let me know which hotel in Crawley you had considered, as there really is only one worth staying at and thats the Arora. I work at Gatwick and know many of the hotels and where they are for reference.

London
Level Contributor
561 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crawley to London Victoria--3 Day Travelcards

Don't stay in Crawley. It's a dull place 30 miles from Central London and as others have pointed out, you'd condemn yourself to an expensive and tedious commute into town each day.

Crawley is way outside the London fare zones.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crawley to London Victoria--3 Day Travelcards

Thanks for the advice. The Arora Gatwick is the hotel with the great deal. I've stayed there many times and agree with you on the town of Crawley. But remember that I'll have my 11 yr. old son with me. So, no pub visits for me this trip. The only outing into Crawley for us would consist of an Asda shopping trip. I've taken the train from Crawley into London many times and agree that it's not the most of exciting of trips. However, from the eyes of an American 11 yr. old boy who never gets to ride on trains, it's an exciting possibility. When my oldest son and I stayed at the Arora, I was dreading the train ride in and out of London every day. But it's one of the things that he loved the most about the trip. He loved navigating around Victoria Station and figuring out which exit we needed to take to get where we were going. He also loved telling his buddies when he got home that he had to "pay 20p to pee." Ah, the minds of boys.

We also won't arrive to the hotel before 10 a.m. Friday, so we'll have a late start into London that day anyway. Saturday and Sunday we can leave as early as possible and still use the non-peak travelcards. It's a savings of over 100 GBP and that includes the cost of travel into London compared to the cost of a London hotel room (I'm rather picky on that) and the price of transportion to and from Gatwick and travelcards.

9. Re: Crawley to London Victoria--3 Day Travelcards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 06:21