We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating after the Lion King

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Eating after the Lion King

My eight year old son and I are off to see the Lion King this Saturday afternoon.

My husband and 5 month old daughter are using the time to look around the Imperial War Museum.

We're meeting up afterwards for food - any suggestions? Obviously we're quite far apart anyway so an area isn't too much of an issue. Probably more important is that the Saturday evening crowd we'll be mixing with don't mind kids.

Any ideas? I prefer not to go to chains but maybe Leicester Square could be fun?

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating after the Lion King

Rainforest Cafe is a popular choice for families and i guess your son would love it after the Lion King!

It's on Shaftesburt Avenue, nearest tube is Picadilly Circus.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating after the Lion King

Hi Ange,

Just wondering whether it's your 5 month old daughter insisting that she's goes to the IWM against her dad's will. The things dad's do to keep their daughter's happy :).

Anyway, you might want to try Giraffe for some food. It is a chain but it's a small chain and they do decent food and also have a kid's menu as well.

They have a restaturant at the Royal Festival Hall on the South Bank next to Waterloo bridge so it would be easy for both you and your husband to get to. More details at:

http://www.giraffe.net/home.html

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
664 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating after the Lion King

Hi Ange

We went to Giraffes on Southbank and loved the 'world food' but there was a massive queue on a Friday night and we were very glad we had booked and walked right past the queue. Booking is a must! They give the cutest coloured giraffes in their drinks.I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating after the Lion King

Mick, my daughter hasn't stopped going on about the IWM since she heard we were going to London! (or is that my husband.......)

I think we might go for the Rainforest Cafe as we're staying in Kensington and notice there's a Girafe there where we could eat another night.

Having problems reserving a table on the Rainforest Cafe website though, anyone know how long the wait time would be at that time on a Saturday?

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating after the Lion King

Try and phone them to get a reservation, it is almost impossible without one as it is that popular.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating after the Lion King

Thanks for all of your help folks!

I rang them and they don't take reservations on a Saturday...... now I have a dilemma.... they said if we turned up between 5-5.30pm then we'd get a table but they couldn't say what time....

I also wanted to do a ghost walk that night, the only one I could find starts at St Pauls tube at 7.30pm. I think this is going to be cutting it fine so does anyone know of any closer ghost walks or a backup restaurant if we can't get a table more or less straightaway at Rainforest Cafe?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating after the Lion King

A couple of back ups to the Rainforest if you're having problems.

One is the Stockport on Panton Street just off Haymarket and not too far to walk from the Rainforest Cafe. There's nothing fancy about it but it does british food and it's quite cheap when you consider you're in the West End. You can read reviews at:

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/5774.htm

Or there is a Pizza Express on Haymarket if you're getting desparate to find somewhere decent.

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating after the Lion King

hmmm, gazelle or wildebeast?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating after the Lion King

gazelle.... without a doubt! much leaner. Harder to catch, but since we're not in the serengeti that part isn't my job!

Thanks again mick - I'll add those places to my list.

10. Re: Eating after the Lion King

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 09:16