We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canary Wharf - public transport? Taxi costs

Cardiff
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Canary Wharf - public transport? Taxi costs

I've booked a hotel near Canary Wharf. I just wondered if its easy to get to - I couldn't find a tube/rail after 5.30 pm and now I'm getting a bit worried. Is a taxi going to cost too much from central London to there?

Also on the day we arrive we will get to Victoria about 10.30 pm and need to get to a hotel near Kings Cross - what are the tubes like at that time of night. I will be travelling with a child so want to make sure its OK. How much would a taxi be (3.5 miles according to multimap)?

Thank you

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,256 reviews
from US$127.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$105.70*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.00*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
London, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canary Wharf - public transport? Taxi costs

Not sure where you are looking, but the jubilee line runs to and from canary wharf until about midnight, and the DLR is similar. Canary Wharf is very easy to get to and from. A taxi would be £10-20 depending on where you're going in central London, but just use public transport, which hotel are you staying?

The Victoria will still be running to Kings X at that time of night (will stop just after midnight, unless its a Sunday), otherwise i gues a taxi would be just over £10

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,050 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canary Wharf - public transport? Taxi costs

Whats the name of the hotel so we can check where it is in relation to public transport?

Also, there is a regular fast boat service from canary wharf pier - try www.tfl.gov.uk or www.thamesclippersco.uk for timetable. Its a much prettier way to travel...

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canary Wharf - public transport? Taxi costs

A taxi from City Airport to Liverpool Street costs £20 inc a big tip (I was on expenses) Canary Wharf to central London must be about the same.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,488 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canary Wharf - public transport? Taxi costs

If you are really near Canary Wharf, it is very easy on the Jubilee Line. If you are further out in Docklands, you will have to check the DLR timetable.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canary Wharf - public transport? Taxi costs

We'll be staying in the Britannia International (though now I'm a bit worried, mixed reviews but I got a good price so thought give it a go).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canary Wharf - public transport? Taxi costs

OK, that's an easy place to get to. A 5 minute walk from Canary Wharf tube station, or 3 minute walk from Heron Quay or South Quay DLR

I don't know what the hotel itself is like but I imagine the views will be great. My office is another 300 yards up Marsh Wall towards Westferry Circus and the views up the river into the City are spectacular. Every highlight of the skyline - Tower Bridge, Big Ben, the Gherkin, London Eye, St Paul's - stands out clearly

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canary Wharf - public transport? Taxi costs

By the way, both forms of transport run late into the evening, you've nothing to worry about there

Cardiff
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canary Wharf - public transport? Taxi costs

Thank you. That's good to hear. Its safe for a child too? The views did appeal to me.

My nephew is 11 and never been to London before and is so excited. I doubt will we be able to do everything he'd like to do but its easy enough to organise another trip.

Does anyone know when the Christmas lights go on? I think we will be a bit early (last weekend in October).

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,050 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canary Wharf - public transport? Taxi costs

I work next to the Brittania. Haven't stayed there.

If you walk up the road a few yards and cross at the City Pride pub, continue across the next road to the Thames path. Walk about 150-200 yards to the row of restaurants and the peir. From there you can get a fast catamaran upriver to London or downriver to Greenwich. From Greenwich you can get the DLR back to South quay station about 100 yards from the Brittania.

London
Level Contributor
10,757 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canary Wharf - public transport? Taxi costs

Brittania hotel. Walk five minutes in one direction and you're in one of the glitziest places in Europe (Canary Wharf). Walk five minutes in a diagonally opposite direction and you're into one of the roughest estates in Europe. But then - lots of places in London are like that. Very affluent areas cheek by jowl with very poor areas.

South Quay station on the DLR is only 150 metres from the door of your hotel. No transport worries at all.