We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Best

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
The Best

The Access London guidebook (which, by the way, I really like) has inclusions throughout the book called "The Best." These are lists from Londoners of their favorite things to do. An example: "Watching the sun set over the Thames from the walkways of Tower Bridge, now open to the public." Now, that is something I would never have thought to do, but it sounds like a wonderful way to segue from daylight to dark.

I am quite interested to learn what the knowledgeable TALFers would put on their list of The Best.

All ideas will be welcomed! Thanks to all of you for your great input. It is time to do the tough-decision planning as we leave in 12 days!

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Best

I too like the Access guides.

Similar to the above, I like taking aThames river boat at sunset (you can go from Tower Bridge to Westminster Pier, which is heading west and thus towards the sunset).

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
427 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Best

The view from the steps of the National Gallery in late afternoon.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Best

You can get great views of the city from Parliament Hill in Hampstead Heath or from Primrose Hill, which is just north of the London Zoo.

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Best

Visiting the Cabinet War Rooms.

Eating a meal with a friend in Alba, Whitecross Street.

Attending a TALF Pub meet.

Attend a Play at the Globe.

No particular order.....

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Best

I always used to say the view from Westminster Bridge. However I discovered the view further along by Tower Bridge where (Southbank) where you can get the Tower of London almost juxtaposed with Canary Wharf . 1000 years in one frame...

My slightly weirder 'bests' are the Denis Sever's museum, 18 Folgate St, and going up/down to the platforms at Westminster and Canary Wharf.

What weird (but legal) bests do other people have I wonder....

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Best

The top of the Wellington Arch at Hyde Park Corner.

Highgate Cemetery - west side.

7. Re: The Best

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 04:19