We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you ever been inside Battersea Power Station?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
Save Topic
Have you ever been inside Battersea Power Station?

Well, if you haven't you now have a chance thanks to the Serpentine Gallery putting on an exhibit of contemporary Chinese art and architecture for 5 weeks from 8th October. It is only open from Thursday to Sunday and you can get more details at:

serpentinegallery.org/2006/08/china_power_st…

Here is a Times article on the exhibit:

timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,585-2312659.html

And if you want to know more about the current plans for the power station, the website below will give details (although there have been many plans over the years and we'll have to wait and see if these actually happen):

http://www.thepowerstation.co.uk/

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have you ever been inside Battersea Power Station?

Mick: Are you planning on a visit? If so, photos please.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have you ever been inside Battersea Power Station?

Thanks for posting this, Mick. This is just my sort of thing, but I'll miss it by a few weeks, darn!

By the way, I wonder why the Serpentine went and ruined their nice website with this uninspiring new design??

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have you ever been inside Battersea Power Station?

At the last TALF pub meet I was talking to Trillian's dad and it turned out that he worked at the power station for many years. Perhaps we could persuade him to produce a report about what it was like?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Have you ever been inside Battersea Power Station?

Lee,

Yes, I shall try and plan a visit. Not so much for the art but just to see inside before they start all the redevelopment work.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have you ever been inside Battersea Power Station?

IndeedydooodyIhave.

Maaaaany years ago when the 'community consultation'' blarney kicked off.

Wandered round for the day & took zillions of mean'n'moody Post Industrial photos, including some of the control room Bakerlite fittings. Artistic pretensions, moi ?

I may still even have them....down in the celluloid vaults.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have you ever been inside Battersea Power Station?

EmParr: Will you be at the Ritz tea? If so, would love to see your pictures of Battersea.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have you ever been inside Battersea Power Station?

Offfto'

I will be at the RitzTea.

Not sure I can retrieve my snaps - they'll be almost 20 years old & buried in archivesof many many years. Will have a go.

Em

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Have you ever been inside Battersea Power Station?

I've booked this for the 4th November so will take some pictures whilst I'm there and of course share them with your good selves.

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,252 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Have you ever been inside Battersea Power Station?

Oh, I have wonderful memories of the staff family open days at Battersea Power Statiion as a kid. They had special train trucks to give everyone rides around the grounds on the tracks that had been put in to transport the coal around. The inside was incredible and huge with tiles and enormous machinery and it was brilliant to just stand a gawp at the amazing hugeness of the building. All ripped out now and just a shell. It's heartbreaking.

Unfortunately my dad can tell you how bad the working conditions could be if you were near the furnaces, stripped down to bare minimum clothing...then up on the roof, freezing cold, checking on the frozen dials. It was a very tough place to work and there's not many men left alive now as most died fairly young, 50s and 60s, but of course nobody has ever blamed working conditions there, so hard to prove now anyway.

As a 'did you know'...one of the chimneys was lined with a special, rare, hard wood from Russia that was supposed to act as a filter and it must be worth a fortune in salvage, so I wonder if thats the reason they want to demolish the chimneys and replace them with plastic copies?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Have you ever been inside Battersea Power Station?

i went to this exhibit on Saturday although my main reason for going was to see inside the Power Station and the exhibit was secondary to that. The photos are at the link below:

…smugmug.com/gallery/2092380/1/107924697