We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Cooma, Australia
Level Contributor
244 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
London Easter 2007

Hi we will be arriving in London on Wed 4 April 2007 and had planned on staying in London for 5 nights before hiring a car for 3 weeks and heading off. Is there any point in staying in London or are we better to head off before easter into the counrtyside and doing the 5 London nights at the end of the trip. My husband and I have been to London before but the children have not so it is not important that we do London first.

Many thanks for your help

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Easter 2007

So what's your rough itinerary? Certainly you'll probably find there are plenty of Easter activities going on which would be good for the children - depends where you think you might be! (Kent, Cotswolds, Scotland, South West??)

Cooma, Australia
Level Contributor
244 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Easter 2007

We have 3 weeks and 5 days. We had roughly planned a week in Ireland, we have friends near Gloucester but they will be away from 6-15 April so a week there and a week heading north to Soctland and 5 days in London. Which we go to first is all flexible with our only requirement that we hire the car for a 3 week block and do the 5 London days at the biginning or the end. All point in between are days touring.

Cooma, Australia
Level Contributor
244 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Easter 2007

Also kids will be 11 and 2 weeks off 16.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Easter 2007

Sounds like starting off in London may be the way to go for logistical reasons. You might wish to end up in Gloucester, since you'll be reasonably near London for your return flight (well, compared to Ireland & Scotland that is!), and do Ireland and Scotland in between.

Whereabouts are you from? I'm only saying that because if you have easy access to Disney et al theme parks, then you may wish to discard the following:

By the ages of your children, they may enjoy thorpe park www.thorpepark.co.uk which will have not long re-opened after the Christmas break. However I do NOT recommend going to any of our theme parks on Easter weekends. I made that mistake once. Spent an hour in the car queuing to get in, and I think we went on maybe 2 or 3 rides the whole day.

Public transport will be reduced on Easter Sunday and the Monday, but probably like a Sunday service, so you can still get out and about.

Are you driving to Ireland?

Well, let's see what the others on here think. Easter in Ireland or Scotland would also be delightful - I'm just not sure whether having travelled from the States (I assume!), you then want to be doing mega-car journeys on jet-lag straight off. But the downside is that London WILL be very busy.

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: London Easter 2007

Gilliganuk...

I'll also be arriving in London with hubby and 15 yr. old in tow on the 5th of April. We'll be in the UK for 2 weeks, and we'll be doing a very similar trip with a jaunt up to Scotland, and then over to Ireland for a couple of days ending up back in London. You say it will be busy... I'm not surprised because of spring break for many students... will it be as busy as summer? Will the lines for the attractions like the Tower of London be extrememly long? Is the whole month of April busy? Or just around Easter?

Thanks!

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Easter 2007

The actual Easter weekend many locals spend travelling to be with family/friends or taking a holiday break, so the roads tend to be busy particularly round the airports & towards the holiday resorts, & the London visitor attractions less so.

London can be relatively quiet over the Easter weekend break, so it's good time to get round (shoulder season?).

As soon as Easter passes, the crowds build up. It's quite noticeable, more people wandering round central London.

USA
Level Contributor
7,044 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Easter 2007

If flying, I would consider flying into London and out of Dublin or Shannon. Save yourself one trip across the Irish Sea.

Cooma, Australia
Level Contributor
244 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Easter 2007

Hi Gillianuk, we are from Australia rather than the states so no real access to theme parks othr than Queensland ones. Not overly interested in theme parks but if things are going to open in London over Easter then we will probably stay and head off on the Monday or Tuesday. With our friends busy over the holidays we will more than likely end up in Gloucester at the end of our holiday. Our flight leaves at night so we have our last day to return car without too much rush. Haven't been to the UK for about 15 years and about 20 years ago we lived in Reading for 6 months while my husband worked.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Easter 2007

See? I must learn never to assume anything ;-)

BTW, I live half an hour from Reading. You may wish to re-visit it, as you won't have had the Oracle when you were here. (Excellent shopping centre/leisure complex along the canal. Lovely atmosphere when the weather's right, for eating al fresco at one of the many restaurants there.)

Agree with Emparr that London attractions themselves are likely not to be horrendously busy - not like the summer months. I'd still suggest following the advice generally given for places like the Tower ie get there early etc.

I'd recommend avoiding travel (car travel especially) on Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday if you can help it - they're the pits! As Emparr said, everyone's heading off for the weekend / returning from the weekend, and travel chaos normally ensues.

Podo: Just to say many schools will be on holiday from around 2nd - 15th April, or thereabouts, so it looks like you'll catch it all! I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that if locals are going on holiday, they're more likely to go abroad at Easter because of the unpredictability of the British weather, so no, April not as busy as Summer.

10. Re: London Easter 2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2007, 17:41