We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open to the public

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Open to the public

I realise I've missed out for this year but can anybody tell me about buildings/sights that are only open to the public in late September.

Somebody told me they include the likes of the Lloyds Insurance building and the "Gherkin" but that it only applies on one Sunday.

Please can anyone tell me:

1. What date is it?

2. Is there a web site that lists them?

3. What are the opening hours?

4. Do there tend to be long queues?

5. Bearing in mind increased security levels does the scheme actually still run?

Many thanks

Germany
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Open to the public

www.londonopenhouse.org/

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Open to the public

The Swiss Re building has opened for "Open House" for the last 2 years. Last year the queues were 4 hours and many people did not get in. This year it, and many others, were only open if booked in advance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Open to the public

I did the whole Open House thing. It's all free, and is for the Saturday and Sunday. The website has alls of the details.

The tickets for the Gherkin were fully booked out very quickly.

The Bank of England had big queues, I tried twice and each time the queue was over two hours.

Lloyds of London had a queue for security checks, but it moved fast and I was inside with five minutes. Well worth a visit.

As I live on the edge of "The City" I stuck to that area and did on the Saturday:-

Trinity House

Lloyds of London

Leadenhall Market

[Bank of England=too busy]

The old Midland Bank HQ

Guildhall

Guildhall Art Gallery

Roman Ampitheatre remains (under Guildhall Art Gallery)

Mercer's Hall (Livery Company for Merchants)

Vintners Hall (Livery Company for Wine)

[Bank of England again=still too busy]

4. Re: Open to the public

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 08:18