We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,783 posts
294 reviews
Save Topic
Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

That what I've been thinking, having seen his name pop up here constantly - well curiosity got the better of me and I've discovered that he has a travel show in the US, but guess what, you can download clips of his visits to England and beyond and his website is a mine of fantastic travel tips and information.

Obviously thats not news to our American friends, but if you fancy having a peek at those clip you'll find tghem here:

www.ricksteves.com/tvr/clips/britain.htm

any use?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

His guidebooks aren't the main ones I use but I've found that the do have some excellent "walks".

For hotel/food/bars - I prefer some of the other guidebooks that have more selection such as Frommers or AAA.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

Rick Steves books should be available from any online bookstore, like Amazon.com There are DVDs available to.

I personally think he is a good teacher for Americans interested in starting out their international travels. He really points out how to enjoy the little things and not be an 'Ugly American'.

Check out his website too, there are great forums there too.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

**** Rick Steves. Sorry but I can't stand the guy.

This man has 'supposedly' travelled around Europe for more than two decades yet he is unable to pronounce one place name/ proper name etc... correctly; is that ignorance, arrogance or laziness??

Surely if a person is in the business of travel and talking to 'foreigners' all the time they should make an effort to speak properly and learn some of the language.

And it amazes me that so many people treat his books as gospel and carry them around like the bible.

He lives in the Seattle area and has built an empire on his travel through the 'backdoor' philosophy but the 'backdoor' has had its hinges broken off and been trampled into the ground by the hordes who follow him.

Rant over :)

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

I'd never heard of him before TALF. I still haven't seen any of his shows, read any of his books, or learned anything much about him.

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

Rick Steves is delightfully opinionated. His social activism has its critics. His guide books are as up to date as possible, with corrections and updates on his website. He tells you how to see the sights. He has guided tours, too, with his London tour being a good model for a first time visitor's do it yourself trip http://tinyurl.com/g7jwl . Opinionated? He recommends against The Kensington Palace State Apartments, the BBC Experience, Winston Churchill's Britain at War Experience, and the London Dungeon. " ... a much-visited but amateurish attraction, is just a highly advertised, overpriced haunted house-certainly not worth the £12 admission, much less your valuable London time. It comes with long and rude lines. Wait for Halloween and see one in your own town to support a better cause."

Connecticut
Level Contributor
382 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

Anenome, I don't disagree with your right to disagree but I think the material you are basing it on is weak. While not multilingual, Rick Steves makes every effort to start off a conversation in the local language. From what I have seen in a number of his videos, he is quite successful.

I would also suggest that you explore his webpage further, especially his section on political activism.

ricksteves.com/about/…activism_menu.htm

I have personally enjoyed several of his tours and traveling independently with his guidebook. I guess I have been lucky to have had good meals in the past 10 years of travel.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,783 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

'Rick Steves - Europe through the back door'

In blighty that might be considered slight riske - lol

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

"And it amazes me that so many people treat his books as gospel and carry them around like the bible." Anemone has a valid point. Heaven help you if visit an obscure sight and find it overflowing with his disciples.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,077 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

< He really points out how to enjoy the little things and not be an 'Ugly American'. >

Given the blind adherence of His Followers, he's creating "ugly Americans"

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

I used to wonder why his England Through the Back Passage (yes, PurpleCeltic, my childish sense of humour never left me), anyway, sorry, his England Through the Back Door never included Oxford. Well, Rick Steves told a friend of mine who's in the business that Oxford will feature in the new 2007 guide. I have yet to find that book in any of my local stores so I cannot say if the guide carries that ammendment or not.