We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,836 posts
299 reviews
Save Topic
Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

That what I've been thinking, having seen his name pop up here constantly - well curiosity got the better of me and I've discovered that he has a travel show in the US, but guess what, you can download clips of his visits to England and beyond and his website is a mine of fantastic travel tips and information.

Obviously thats not news to our American friends, but if you fancy having a peek at those clip you'll find tghem here:

www.ricksteves.com/tvr/clips/britain.htm

any use?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

I discovered Mr Steves on PBS (WNED) when they aired a series of his travel shows. Then I found his web site and joined in on the graffiti wall. After that I made some purchases through his travel shop, buying the back-door-bag and a small toiletry kit, both of which I use all the time now.

I have his Britain DVD but I watch the scenery more than I listen to him, I like taking note of places he goes but I haven't seen yet.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

I always thought he was a comedy act in search of a good straight man. :)

Orange County
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
43. Re: Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

I have TiVo-ed Rick Steves' specials on London, and a couple of his other specials, and the man has a certain goofy charm. While it does not seem that he is cultivating the most sophisticated or spontaneous travellers, I think he should at least get points for trying, and the entertainment value of his specials cannot be denied.

All this being said, I can't see why no one is devoting topics to Samantha Brown, whose "Passport to Europe" series is the most charming, funny, and entertaining travel show on television!

travelandlivingtv.com.au/samanthabrown/index…

My TiVo is set to randomly record it whenever it is on, and I always end up getting overly excited about visiting places I never thought I would want to go. Her two-part series on London was pretty priceless, too.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

While I have never taken his tours, I have watched his dvds (I'll watch anything to do with Europe) and have read some of his books. As others above have stated, he does get a lot of people to travel who might not otherwise have done so, which is great. He also gives free seminars in and around the Seattle area and gives out free copies of his books.

But some of his books completely pass over interesting areas, which on one hand is bad, but on the other hand, is good because that leaves some places untouched by his followers.

One more thing: in one of his books, he mentioned that Bordeaux is the most boring city in France. I haven't visited Bordeaux, but I can't believe there's not one interesting attraction to see there.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
45. Re: Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

Ian Wright of Globe Trekker beats Rick S. hands down! Opie, I second your vote for Samantha Brown's passport to Europe.

UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

No doubt RS possess all the talents necessary for a travel writer but in his books he conceals all these with conspicuous success.

Fortunately I am spared his DVD TV shows.

What also I find disquieting is that so many Americans have allocated him guru status. & he writes as if coming to Europe was some exciting dangerous venture.

Sadly thro globalisation & americanisation there is a lot of homgeneity every where in Europe - I can't seem to escape from Hilton Starbucks or MacD even in the mecca of foodies Paris..

The latter two have successfully sounded the death knell for the little family restaurants /zinc lined bars in Paris where the patron poured drinks cooks & Mama is the major domo/cashier etc.

As for the former some idiot in Westminster city council gave Hilton planning permission to build that ugly concrete block prison block looking hotel in Park Lane which overlooks HM the Queen back garden. No doubt she is not over pleased

Good trips all - try the lonely planet

Gerlis

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,836 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

Wow - my wee question got a big response.

Can anyone who persuades uS citizens to get a passport and sample what other countries have to offer be all that bad. Especially as the guy has a link to Tripadvisor on his website!

Whether your first taste of Blighty is on an organised tour, or 'through the back door', it will hopefully make the nervous traveller feel more confident to come back for more - and I'm all for that *J*.

I'm happy for people to vist us, whatever mode of travel they choose - I won't be precious about it. There's a place for all kinds of travel to suit all kinds of people. My parents for instance were once what I would call adventurous travellers, but as they've got older and the joints a bit stiffer, the organised coach tours shared with friends, make their lives a bit easier and travel still a possibility.

UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

One supposes happiness would be present for people to visit one

provided one is in not in London Oxford Paris etc.

See Oxford thread some time ago - very learned entry

Personally when London heaves wished we did not have to depend to much on Tourism - up to 35% GNP.

Heaven help us if the City does ever fall from its position of high earning for UK.

When China with billions start to travel. well ...

Am told some go ahead chains are paying for staff to learn Mandarin.

Gather ye rosebuds whilst ye may. Gerlis

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,836 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

'Ni hao' Gerlis :-)

UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Rick Steves - who on earth is he?

Sadly parts of my education have been sadly neglected re Scotland - it is so cold up there so only know E'bugh & Gleneagles . Appreciate a translation with your customary grace

for us mere mortals down here

Gerlis