We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long from flight arrival to London do you think?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How long from flight arrival to London do you think?

If we arrive at Heathrow about 3:30 pm (15:30) from Los Angeles, considering customs, collecting baggage and taking the tube, when do you think we'll actually arrive in London?

Thanks!

Leicester,England
Level Contributor
217 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long from flight arrival to London do you think?

Allow an hour for getting through the airport, then if you are oing into town by the Heathrow Express another 20 minutes or so toPaddington.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long from flight arrival to London do you think?

<groan> going to be a bit of a pedant here.

I cannot knwo how long it'll take you to get through immigration etc, others can advise better & have done so in previous posts, so it's worth searching this forum for 'immigration' & associated terms.

Allow 15 minutes to get to the HEX platform, service runs every 15 minutes & hourney takes 15 minutes - so that's 30 - 45 minutes to get you into Paddington station. That covers the Heathrow Express (HEX).

Going by tube is another matter. I'm not up to date on terminal openings, but from any of the Heathrow terminal stations, it'll take about 45 m inutes to get to Piccadilly Circus on the Piccadilly line. Getting to the station will add some time.

So you can generalise: after immigration & promot progree, allow an hour to get into central London - same as piece of string;-)

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long from flight arrival to London do you think?

....promot progree....eh?

s/b prompt progress

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How long from flight arrival to London do you think?

I usually allow 2 hours to central London .... BUT, I have a UK passport, and, as Em says, we don't know how long it will take you to get through immigration.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long from flight arrival to London do you think?

I wouldn't book a London Eye Flight or Theatre ticket for any earlier then 6pm ;-)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,618 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long from flight arrival to London do you think?

Baggage and passport control may well be the sticking points for your arrival. Customs in the UK is a matter of walking through the green channel (after you've collected your bags), but immigration queues can either be non-existent, or take over an hour to muddle through. If you're flying BA and arriving at T4, 1530 is going to be busy, and all the desks at immigration should be staffed. But maybe not.

Baggage delivery at LHR can be hit or miss as well.. In the past I've zipped through immigration with no queues and seen my bag waiting for me on the carousel downstairs, but a few times I've waited 15 minutes for the first bag to appear (after having waited 15-20 minutes upstairs in the immigration queue).

So as Em said, it's a how long is a piece of string question........

The tube station at T4 isn't far from Arrivals, but the tube station that serves T1,2,3 can be a bit of a hike, esp if the travelators aren't working (50-50 chance they won't). Allow 15 minutes to get to the tube, buy a ticket, and get on the train. Also, by the time you get to the tube station, rush hour will be starting - you'll join the tube at the beginning of its run, but it'll fill up fast. The carriages at the ends of the train are usually the least jammed, which may make for a better ride.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long from flight arrival to London do you think?

Podo, given that you're taking the tube (as opposed to the Hex), I would anticipate that you will not be in Central London before 5.20 p.m. on the day you arrive. If, however, you decide to take the Hex (and details of the 25% discount in respect of same are posted elsewhere on this site), my educated guess is that you will make it into Paddington round about 4.55 p.m. or 5.00 p.m at the latest.

Please post details of when exactly you arrived in Central London on this thread in due course. I find that if you think positively about a particular situation, almost invariably the positive thought materialises into reality. So, if you book your Hex tickets online at a 25% discount and your flight arrives on time at Heathrow at a time that is not overwhelmingly busy (such as 3.30 p.m.) and you reach the Hex platform just a few minutes before the train is due to depart, my confident prediction for you is that you will be in Paddington just before 5.00 p.m. Tell us how you got on in the end !

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long from flight arrival to London do you think?

Our flight arrives at Heathrow in the morning and if we can get through Passport Control in a reasonable amount of time (20 minutes or so), we normally arrive in London about 2 hours after we land (we take the tube in from T4 to High Street Kensington.)

9. Re: How long from flight arrival to London do you think?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 13:20