We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RAF Museum, London......visitors report

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
RAF Museum, London......visitors report

We didn’t take public transport there so I can’t comment on how easy that would have been. We choose to take the 40 mins drive on the A406 always a delight to see those gorgeous well kept houses at the road side especially before and after the Green Lanes junction ;) Tomorrow for the Disney on Ice I will taking the tube rather than driving though, for a change of scene. Arrived just as they opened at 10am and we managed to get ahead of the 17th Herts Beaver pack that must have scoffed bag fulls of jumping beans on their way down. Our party, 10 and 8 year old, the mum and dad and the grandad.

It’s very hard not to keep comparing this museum with Duxford as both do have different pros and con’s. Duxford is massive and of course has a great collection too of tanks etc, RAF basically has 5 hangers/halls and obviously focuses on the aviation, Duxford can be costly depending on when you go, RAF museum is free, and if you buy both gudie books together a good price of £5. Duxford requires a good pair of walking shoes, RAF is nicely compact, and not tiring. Duxford the hangers are bare stone floors and you face the elements of the weather in between walking from on hanger to the other, here nice modern halls/hangers, carpeted and bar two they contect or have covered walk ways and the lay out was good..

So, the first hall, “Milestones of Flight”, we skipped the 3d cinema to get ahead of the beavers (automatic DisneyPark crowd avoidance kicked in there) Contained Mosquito, nice shiny Mustang, a Harrier, Me262, Kawasaki, Gipsy Moth , Messerschmittand a typhoon.. A few hanging up like a Tempest and a Bleriot. Lots of interactive flat screens stationed around so you can touch screen and read up info. The simulator ride was out of order in this hanger. On to the “Bomber Hall”, quite dark in here, pictures refused to come out nicely. Lancaster, mean looking Vulcan, Buccaneer, Be2c, Liberator, Halifax and a Focke. Nice displays of artefacts also.

The “Historic Hanger” had a good old mixture of new and old planes and helicopters , Hawker Typhoon, Merlin, Rota, Spitfires, Phantom, Buaefighter , Southampton, Thunderbolt, Canberra and a Hunter. Here you can have a pit stop and have a coffee and a muffin and use of toilets. We then went through the Interactive centre. Went on the simulator here £2.50 each, your flying in a plane chasing the Red Baron, good for the money but I don’t know why they place it so near to after the refreshment place, I came off it feeling a bit green LOL…..the other activies were great for the kids they really enjoyed, all sort of science and flying related doing things. The Hang gliding ride was also closed that day, probably a good thing anyway after been thrown around and devilish sharp turns and steep dives in the simulator.

“Battle of Britain Hall”, think this was our favourite. It opened at 12.00 and on each hour they present a cinema style show. You sit in bank seating and the story and visual effects tell of the Blitz and landings etc, very well presented don‘t skip. Dotted around are very lifelike models, thier eyes were so real looking the kids had to poke to make sure they weren’t squashy, they though they had been taken from….well, I think you can guess. So, also were Junkers, Hurricane, spitfire, Messerchmitt, Bf109e, Heinkel, nice big V1’s and you could actually go in and walk the length of a Sunderland, again good models and audio. Next door to this Hanger was a restaurant you could get fish and chips, chilli con etc for £6.00, they even had bottles of the Neame “spitfire” bitter and their “Smooth” that you could wash it down with.

After 4 hours we decided to miss out the last hall the “Grahame-White factory” place. There was a nice big shop everything from clothing, books, videos, corgi/airfix models to other gifts and nik naks.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,234 reviews
from US$140.15*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,957 reviews
from US$144.27*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
515 reviews
from US$97.56*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
814 reviews
from US$97.56*
Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RAF Museum, London......visitors report

Lara: I didn't even know there was a RAF Museum. Thanks for the report; I'm going to add it to my ever-growing list of "things to do" for future trips.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: RAF Museum, London......visitors report

Lara ~ thanks for the great report. I'll show this to the airplane crazy son, he'll love it. Glad to hear you used your "Disney skills" they do come in quite handy when encountering large roaming packs of kidlets.

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RAF Museum, London......visitors report

they certainly do LOL......forgot to give the link for pic's....no Minnie ears this time......just planes, planes, planes and a few goofey people .

http://lara9345.fotopic.net/c1114925.html

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
427 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RAF Museum, London......visitors report

Does anyone know how long the trip would be on the Tube from Central London? One would take the Northern Line, correct?

Calgary
Level Contributor
422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RAF Museum, London......visitors report

Hello all

It was so intereting to read this post. The RAF museum was one high on my husbands list for our trip this past summer. It did not disappoint. I didnt go on the tube this time but I dont believe its too long of a journey. I will post the answer for Dr when my husband gets home if its not answered by then.

I was disappointed we missed Duxford but this was a good review of it. Maybe there will be another time. Thanks Toffee

Twickenham, United...
Level Contributor
589 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RAF Museum, London......visitors report

HI,

About half hour on Northern Line to Colindale then 10-15 min walk. Think buses go there but have never caught one. Not far from where the Met police are trained

USA
Level Contributor
7,024 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RAF Museum, London......visitors report

I loved the RAF Museum. I am sure I spent my visit with an amazed grin on my face. The Wellington bomber was my favorite, imagine, a WWII bomber with a cloth skin!

The trip out to Colindale on the Northern Line took longer than I expected. I should have spent the time reading. It was also a longer walk to the Museum than expected. BEARTOMCAT 's times look about right.

May I ask what the 17th Herts Beaver pack is?

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RAF Museum, London......visitors report

hoogo,

Beavers are young Cubs, who are young Scouts.

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RAF Museum, London......visitors report

hoogo,

Beavers are young Cubs, who are young Scouts.

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RAF Museum, London......visitors report

Scouts:

www.scouts.org.uk