We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

area around Victoria and Albert Museum

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisiana
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
area around Victoria and Albert Museum

Hello,

I was wondering if the area around the Victoria and Albert Museum, and the S Kennsington tube station is safe for two college age girls to walk at night. Is the tube safe for two girls at night at all?

Thanks,

Planning ahead

Twickenham, United...
Level Contributor
589 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: area around Victoria and Albert Museum

Hi,

South Kensington & the surrounding areas are probably some of the safest in Central London. Tube stations are manned and covered by CCTV. The tube trains are usually busy with people all day long- safety in numbers etc. If they decide to travel by bus the safest place is to sit near the driver, they also have CCTV.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,884 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: area around Victoria and Albert Museum

The area around the V&A is exceptionally safe. Brompton Road is fairly busy, and there are lots of buses and taxis (and people!) zipping along, day and night. The Underground generally is safe, as there are so many passengers using the lines, as well as a huge number of CCTV cameras in and around the stations.

TfL have also increased the number of station staff at most central London stations, so in case of a problem, there will likely be someone at or near the ticket office to ask for help or assistance.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: area around Victoria and Albert Museum

It's good. no worries.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: area around Victoria and Albert Museum

Pretty much all of central London is safe for everyone, all the time.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: area around Victoria and Albert Museum

>>>Pretty much all of central London is safe for everyone, all the time.<<<

Finally someone put to bed this persistant paranoia.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: area around Victoria and Albert Museum

What should I have done? In returning to hotel after a TALF meeting, was riding the tube, I guess about 11:00 p.m......noticed an attractive girl, in her 20s, nicely dressed in a party dress.....totally passed out. She was sitting upright, but was drunk as a skunk....you could smell the alcohol on her....her hands were crossed over her purse. Some ladies sitting opposite her tried to shake her, but she just fell over.....they righted her and sat back down opposite her. I felt so sorry for her, but who was I supposed to report it to? I don't think she would have made it home with her purse, at the very least. Are there cameras in the tube cars? (I kept looking around and didn't see any.) I have felt guilty ever since that I did not know what to do, so did nothing.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: area around Victoria and Albert Museum

Report it at the station where you get off. Most stations have information intercoms on the platforms.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: area around Victoria and Albert Museum

Oh, and I expect she made it home just fine. I used to have a cohabitte who went thorugh a phase of getting that drunk quite often, and the worst that befell her on the tube was that someone stole her mobile phone once.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: area around Victoria and Albert Museum

Not being paranoid, just careful. I grew up in New Orleans, and worked in the tourism industry. Tourist always (used to?) wander into neighborhoods that no local would go into after dark, and often pay the consequences. There can be a pretty significant difference between two blocks in some areas.

Seeing ads for hotels in your home city, bragging about being a few blocks from the French Quarter, when I know that there's no way anyone should be walking it, makes me leery of travel in cities I don't know well.

Didn't mean to make it sound as if I think London is a big scary dangerous town. I know that for the most part, common sense should be one's guide. However, I also that anything can happen anywhere. Just wanted to put the odds on my side. :)

Mary

Louisiana
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: area around Victoria and Albert Museum

Hi there....just noticed that you are in Louisiana too. You are the first I have seen from my state here. I know what you mean about New Orleans, and I hope y'all have a wonderful time in London!