We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tower of London in Danger....

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tower of London in Danger....

of encroaching Skyscrapers:

…bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6072580.stm

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tower of London in Danger....

Fortunately the planners went against Ken and chopped several floors off most of the buildings about to go up around London.

northern Virginia
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tower of London in Danger....

Now, they would just get rid of the gherkin and the armadillo, both of which are very close to the Tower. Ah, well. I suspect the Tower will outlast both of those monstrosities. It seems to outlast everything else.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tower of London in Danger....

Nonsense. Its just the usual UN meddling in the affairs of soverign states. What do they expect, to demolish everthing around the Tower? Frankly I don't see how having skyscrapers nearby affects the Tower at all, it's not like you can just pretend you aren't in the middle of a huge city. The commerical needs of the City should come first.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tower of London in Danger....

How can a building lose its historic value just because of what's going up around it? Bizarre.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tower of London in Danger....

When we were in San Antonio, a guide told us that there are building codes in place to disallow the building of anything that will cast a shadow over the Alamo. But, I guess it's already too late for that with the Tower (and other London historic landmarks.) :o)

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tower of London in Danger....

I actually think having these new gleaming towers around the old stately tower will just be one more interesting, even attractive, feature of London. If the new buildings are simple and striking they complement the old - I remember the colonial churches in Boston looking rather appealing next to the skyscrapers there.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,290 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tower of London in Danger....

The last time the Tower had great views from anywhere but the riverside was 1940 when Hitler was doing some redevelopment work in London

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tower of London in Danger....

Must agree with Jim. Lee made the point that historical value does not diminish either. Acutally well preserved history can look very interesting when blended with new - in my opinion.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,170 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tower of London in Danger....

It's all down to personal taste. In Paris they built the shiny new business district well up the road in la Defense and kept the old city as it was.

When Canary Wharf was built and has now become successful, I was under the impression that any new skyscrapers would be raised up there and not the City. However, they've probably run out of space there and so it seems they are sticking them up in town.

Personally, I can see that some people will enjoy the contrast and say that it is pleasing on the eye. For me though, I prefer the old buildings to be left untroubled by new 40 storey neighbours.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tower of London in Danger....

dicanio10 ~> Good point about Paris. It's really about planning out the redevelopment. Unfortunately I think big business wins out far too often and cities will do whatever it takes to get the tax £ rolling in. They should have a scheme for how they want to see different area evolve especially around the most historical areas.