We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Heathrow to Gatwick

waterford ireland
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Heathrow to Gatwick

Help!!!!! Having a nightmare at the moment trying to organise a trip to Vegas from Gatwick. We are flying in from Cork the day before to get the flight from Gatwick. If we fly into Gatwick we will have to fly Ryanair and have a terrible luggage allowance on my return trip after shopping in the US.

I was just wondering what are my best options to change from Heathrow to Gatwick.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,596 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Heathrow to Gatwick

On the same day the simplest & possibly the quickest is National Express coach between the two. They are frequent (every 15 minutes?). BUT allow 5 hours between flights.

Otherwise both the Gatwick & Heathrow airport websites tell you other ways of doing it along with how to get into & out of London if having an overnight stay

BUT why aren't you flying aer Lingus from Dublin / Shannon?

waterford ireland
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Heathrow to Gatwick

Because Aer Lingus dont fly into Gatwick. We want to fly into Gatwick from Cork. Believe lining the pocket of Mr. O Leary is the last thing I want to do.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Heathrow to Gatwick

Ryanair charge per checked bag so you could in theory pre-book 2 or 3 bags for your return flight. As awful as Ryanair are, the extra cost will be well worth avoiding having to change between LHR & LGW.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,644 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Heathrow to Gatwick

Take the coach. Depending on traffic on the M25, the trip should take about an hour and a half. BAA recommend a MCT (minimum connection time) of three hours, for same day travel. The coaches operate from the Central Bus Station (at T1,2,3) to T4, then LGW North, LGW South. The fare is £18 single, £35.50 return.

There are a couple of Premier Travel Inns near LGW, and a Travelodge as well, which may have rooms from as little as £26, if you need to book a room for the night between flights.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,596 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Heathrow to Gatwick

< Because Aer Lingus dont fly into Gatwick >

BUT they do fly transatlantic to NY from where you can get cheap flights to NY with the likes of Jetblue & Southwest Airlines

And don't dismiss Ryanair to Gatwick, the cheapness of the flight compared to flying to LHR & staying ovemight may outweigh the excess baggage charges - and to cut costs further dump any low cost items before returning to the UK to increase your usable luggage allowance

waterford ireland
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Heathrow to Gatwick

Thanks everyone, we will probably do the Ryanair to Gatwick and just try and manage the luggage allowance.

We are planning on staying the night in Gatwick.

We have 2 options.

Stay at the Premier Travel Inn at the North Terminal which seemingly you can walk to from the Terminal. This costs £60.

We can also stay at the travel Lodge for £26 and probably have to spend money on Taxis and have nothing nearby to do on the night.

The reason we are doing to Gatwick trip is to get a non stop flight.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Heathrow to Gatwick

The fact that you can walk there doesn't sound right to me, the Sofitel and HIlton are widely advertised as the only two walkable hotels at Gatwick, butmaybe they have been telling porkies?

I suppose in theory you can walk anywhere but descriptions have it variously at the train station (eg right there), 800 yards and 1 mile from the terminal! They cant all be right.

I would double check before paying double over your other selected hotel, and struggling with your (extensive?) luggage across some dual carriageways, certainly the fact they have a shuttle service that they charge for indicates its not exactly next door, but it would be good to hear from some local experts if this is indeed *reasonably* walkable!

waterford ireland
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Heathrow to Gatwick

Well these are the instructions I have been given so do these sound OK.

''You can actually walk to it from North Terminal in about 5 mins Just walk through the carpark, cross the access exit road which will get you onto the roundabout. Bear left, there is a petrol station across the road and the Travel Inn is right next door. Not a bad restaurant there too,''

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Heathrow to Gatwick

The only budget hotel you can walk to with luggage is the Travel Inn from the passenger terminals. This is a great choice. Make sure you pick a luggage trolley that goes straight, some of the path is not smooth and straight and you have to negociate a main road with your trolley.

There is a transfer bus (chargable) if its raining.

HolidayExtras sometimes does a deal with the Ibis where the transfer bus is bundled free and its slightly cheaper than the Travel inn normally. Its next door to the other Travel Inn which has quite a good olde wolde pub and restaurant in extensive grounds.

You can't walk south from the terminals to the Travelodge, Ibis and other Travel Inn.

In theory you can walk to the Holiday Inn, Renaisance and Best Western Moat House but its using the Surrey Border path a long distance path so you'll need hiking gear, huskeys, brandy etc - luggage trolley not recommended.

The Travelodge at Gatwick in my opinion is one of the worst Travel Lodges around. Its by the south runway in an industrial estate. The transfer bus is the Hoppa Bus, a la Heathrow at 3 GBP a transfer. They've changed operating times a lot lately at one time the last bus operated as early as 21:30 - think its better now.

10. Re: Getting from Heathrow to Gatwick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 23:19