We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

York, Windsor or Hampton Court

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
560 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
York, Windsor or Hampton Court

If you had a choice to do two day trips out of London which would you choose out of these three?

York

Windsor

Hampton Court

I know that York is the furthest but I really don't know when we will be heading back to England. It has taken me more then 10 years to go back and this is the first visit for my husband, son age 10 and daughter age 12

We will be visiting late March / early April 2007 and have a full 7 days of touring available

Thanks

NJ
Level Contributor
560 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: York, Windsor or Hampton Court

I want to throw another option onto this list

Warwick Castle

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: York, Windsor or Hampton Court

Or in other words, which one to skip?

I'd say skip Windsor. FIrst of all, WIndsor is the castle and a lot of tourist tat surrounding it. Take away the castle and there is an ordinary town with a river, and tourist tat. Now, maybe I'm biased but I say, see one castle, you've seen 'em all :-)

York is a whole town, lots to see, real history and is only 2 hours from London by train.

Hampton Court also has a lot of real history behind it, will I expect be less busy than WIndsor (which always seems crowded) and IMHO is more of a manufactured tourist attraction than the others .Take the self guided tour with headphones at HC.

I'm assuming you will be doing these yourself? All very accessible from London by train.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: York, Windsor or Hampton Court

happytraveler: The kids would probably enjoy Warwick Castle but York has a lot to offer to both kids and adults. I'd choose York. Check out the website: http://www.visityork.org/

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: York, Windsor or Hampton Court

I agree on scheduling York in your itinerary. The minster is well worth the 2 hour trip, and the Shambles are so unlike anything you'll see at Windsor or Hampton Court. I thought Warwick Castle was a tad Disneyish, but then, like Lee said, the kids probably would like it. Hard decision. But if it were me I'd probably go for York and Hampton Court.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: York, Windsor or Hampton Court

Although distance wise York is further than Warwick, there isn't much difference in the journey times by train. Both are around 2 hours.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: York, Windsor or Hampton Court

York, York, York - My favourite English city.

I have been to Windsor and Warwick Castle, but have never been to Hampton Court. I would personally say that it isn't worth travelling 2 hours each way for Warwick castle, I'll let someone who has been to both advise between Windsor and Hampton Court (I really must go there some time!)

NJ
Level Contributor
560 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: York, Windsor or Hampton Court

Thanks everyone

I always wanted to see York but didn't think I would be able to fit it in but I am willing to switch some things around to be able to. Now to just talk husband into it

I have been to Windsor and thought it was nice

Never been to Warwick or Hampton Court

Yes we will be doing these on our own. I always find that the day tours are very expensive and with the exchange rate for the U.S. Dollar it makes it even more so

Any other comments or suggestions are welcomed

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,783 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: York, Windsor or Hampton Court

I like all of these places! But I'm fortunate to live fairly close to Windsor and Hampton Court.

You could do HC as a half day; combine with a boat trip to or from central London (wouldn't boat it both ways, takes a while!) and that's very pleasant. You could do Windsor as a half day, too.

It's a tough call between Windsor and H.C. Presumably you've looked up the websites to compare the two? What do your children say? Do they have a preference?

Oh, take it as read that York is my no.1 choice out of your list!

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: York, Windsor or Hampton Court

HT, Windsor and Hampton Court can be done and you will still have time for things in London later that day. I'm an avid student of the British Monarchy, both Windsor and Hampton abound in interesting sights. Windsor notably since it contains the most royal tombs after Westminster Abbey. Getting there early and staying in to the early afternoon should suffice. York on the other hand is a true day trip and is wonderful. I loved it to death. We had a clear cold day to enjoy it. Only negative was that the walkway on top of the medieval wall was so icy it was dangerous. Don't miss the York Minster and a little street called The Shambles. Now I'm dying to go back. Pub

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: York, Windsor or Hampton Court

If you have time for two day trips out of those three, go to York and stay overnight.

Windsor is, IMO, dull. All it has is an uninteresting castle and a town with standrd high street shops. Hampton Court palace is OK, but the best bit is the maze.

York is a genuine destination in its own right. You could stay there a week and fill your time.