We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galavantin and Eurostar...

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Galavantin and Eurostar...

Howdy!

Okay... sooo... We'll be in London, then up to Scotland for a few days, then fly to Dublin for a few days. We were going to fly back to London where we'd stay put for a week and then take a day trip to Paris via Eurostar.

However, someone on TA suggested we fly to Paris from Dublin to Paris, stay the night and then Eurostar back to London. Actually sounds like a good idea!

So went to the Eurostar web site and played with the journey planner, and I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but it looks like it's significantly more expensive to go one way from Paris to London than do the round trip! I tried a few different dates, and it still comes up more expensive. Am I doing something wrong, or do they not like one way travellers?

Thanks!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galavantin and Eurostar...

podo: I tried and you're right -- the one way is way more expensive. I'd suggest buying a round-trip and not using the London-Paris portion but I'm not sure that wouldn't be frowned upon.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galavantin and Eurostar...

You're going along beautifully and then ka-blam! That single fare comes along and wreaks havoc with your plans.

It's not you, it's the system. Airlines and rail companies can be reluctant to sell singles, because they dislike having empty seats on their aeroplanes or trains. And if they sell you a single, then someone else might want one, and where would they be? Hm?

Sorry. But for the most part, singles are considerably pricier than return fares, and Eurostar is no exception. You could get around it by buying an inexpensive return ticket from Paris to London and not using the second half of the ticket - it's not smiled upon by the airlines or train companies, but pax do it nonetheless.

Have you checked the air fare for DUB-CDG or DUB-BVA? The latter is a bit of a schlep from Paris, with the bus taking about two hours, plus waiting for the bus at the airport. Private car transfer services are available, but cost about €25 single.

California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Galavantin and Eurostar...

>DUB-CDG or DUB-BVA

DUB WHA?? :-)

The airline I'm looking at right now for the Edinburgh to Dublin (then possibly London) tour is Aer Lingus. Found some good fares there!

So you're thinking we could just fly back to London from Paris?

Which airline would you recommend?

I was of course thinking of Eurostar for the whole chunnel experience, especially for 15 yr old son, but maybe getting the return tix instead of the one way is the way to go. I do like the idea of spending one night in Gay Pareee...

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,650 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Galavantin and Eurostar...

There are precisely ZERO problems on Eurostar with buying a return ticket & not using the return part.

In fact it's the standard recommendation

london
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Galavantin and Eurostar...

AMA: 1 day & night in Paris and you'll be short changing yourself. It's a beautiful beautiful city.

rgds

Beau

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galavantin and Eurostar...

Unless you are very fortunate, your 15-year-old will not see many fish as you speed through the tunnel beneath th eEnglish Channel.

Check the www.seat61.com (tip - "seat61" is named after the authors favourite Eurostar seat - he's a fan.)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,650 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Galavantin and Eurostar...

< Unless you are very fortunate, your 15-year-old will not see many fish >

Except on a plate

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Galavantin and Eurostar...

"I was of course thinking of Eurostar for the whole chunnel experience"

TBH I dont think there is much of an experience, you are on a train, and when you are in the tunnel, its dark outside and the lights come on inside, just like going through most other tunnels!

The upside is the city centre-city centre journey making it easier than flying for such journeys.

And as many others have said, just get the cheapest ticket, if its a return, no matter, they wont be hunting you down in California when you fail to show up :-)

(Note, this may not apply the other way round to the way you were thinking of it, eg you get a return and only use the return segment, at least, on airlines they will usually cancel your return if you dont take the outbound.)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Galavantin and Eurostar...

DUB-CDG (Charles de Gaulle airport) and DUB-BVA (Beauvais airport - which the low cost carriers use).

With the cost involved, I'd just go back to London and Eurostar it - the trip is a swell one, to sit back and watch the countryside go past. The time in the tunnel is about 20 minutes, and if there are any fish in the tunnel or flying past the carriage windows, you may want to alert a member of staff.

Paris is a wonderful place, as stempler said, and one day isn't enough - but it's better than no days there at all.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,650 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Galavantin and Eurostar...

< With the cost involved, I'd just go back to London and Eurostar it >

OP is going to have to get to London from Dublin - presumably by flying - so cost isn't really a factor.

And besides - Aer Lingus Dublin to CDG for £20.43 in 2 weeks time ain't exactly breaking the bank