We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gherkin

California
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Topic
Gherkin

I know that access to inside is limited, but can anyone tell me which tube stop(s) or bus(es)should be used for a close up view of the exterior of the building? thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,388 Reviews
from US$125.70*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath, Pub...
2,148 Reviews
from US$128.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
540 Reviews
from US$113.40*
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gherkin

Liverpool Street is the closet to it, my husband works near there, said it's only about 150-200 yards from there so you could easily walk from that station.

Metropolitan, Central, Hammersmith and City plus the Circle Lines all go to Liverpool Street.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gherkin

Use the Bishopsgate way out from Liverpool Street. If you come from the main concourse, you'll go up an escalator - turn right at the top, towards Houndsditch and London Wall.

Walk a couple of minutes (not much more) when you'll see Camomile Street, on the left. Take that turning, and St Mary Axe runs into Camomile Street, as it becomes Bevis Marks. You'll see the building as you look right, into St Mary Axe.

The number 8 bus zips along from Oxford Street, Holborn and Cheapside towards Liverpool Street station; other buses come along Gracechurch Street from south of the river.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gherkin

One of the better views (especially at night) of the Gherkin is to be had from the upper floors of the Great Eastern Hotel (adjacent to Liverpool Street Station). If you ask for a room facing the street, you can return every night to a panoramic view of not only the Gherkin, but also a number of the other large City buildings. And the rates in the Great Eastern, a five star hotel, are very competitive at weekends,

London
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gherkin

The Gherkin is in St Mary Axe.

It is a short walk from either Bank, Liverpool St or Aldgate.

California
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gherkin

Thank you so much for your help. I am directionally challenged so the step by step instructions are appreciated.

A follow up question. I know the gherkin is also called the Swiss Re building. Does this mean it is owed by a Swiss company? Or is it a bank? Personally I'd like to think that it is the headquarters of a giant chocolate cartel, but I suspect the truth is more prosaic.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
377 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gherkin

Swiss Re is a reinsurance company - the insurer's insurer. Too bad... I like your idea of a chocolate cartel better!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,172 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gherkin

www.swissre.com/

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gherkin

An alternate view is to go for some champagne at Vertigo Bar at the NatWest tower. You can then look down on the Gherkin!

Also gives a super view of the rest of the city.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,219 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gherkin

Swiss re refers to its owners (who have just sold it) so it is likely to remain being called the Gherkin for some time...

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,523 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gherkin

Swiss Re are one of my clients and I have been lucky enough to go to the very top floor where there is a cafeteria for staff and a restaurant on the floor below. Awesome views!