We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newspapers

California
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Topic
Newspapers

On my recent trip to London I was really struck by the ubiquity of the free morning newspapers. They seem to be handed out at every tube stop. A fair number of people on the trains were reading them. I took a couple and found that like the ones proliferating in the States they were definitely newspapers lite.

Are these papers cutting into the circulation of the established papers? I know that in cities like Washington and New York this has been the case.

I've always enjoyed watching reader and newspaper on the tube. Seeing a multipierced young man studiously purusing the Financial Times or someone dressed as if he's off to work in the Foreign Office reluctantly turning his eyes from the page 3 girl when he gets off at the St. James stop. I'd be saddened to think these new papers will be homogenizing this.

A semi-related question, has The Guardian reduced its physical size? I read the hard copy when I'm in London and it seemed smaller this time.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newspapers

The Guardian changed its size from what we call broad sheet to the 'Berliner', a couple of years ago, and its circulation has gone up since. Free newspapers have undoubtedly hit sales figures in London, particulary the [Evening] Standard, which saw sales drop some 7% in September, the first time that has happend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_(format)

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5297416.stm

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,707 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newspapers

Most of the free papers (like Metro) are published by the regular papers. Metro and London Lite are both from the Evening Standard stable. The london Paper is News Internationals attempt to grab circulation. Apparently even though they eat into circulation they still make money on ad revenues. The big losers are the 'redtops' - like the Sun, despite their merciless hounding of celebs.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,791 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newspapers

Its not clear whether papers like Metro significantly eat in to other papers' circulation. Apparently about 20 people on average read each copy as it sits on a train or Tube, and its reckoned that most of these people wouldn't have bought a newspaper otherwise.

So they are generating new readers.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newspapers

I read the metro every morning if there is any left at my station when I get there. I would however, never consider buying a newspaper. So I guess the people who buy papers prefer certain ones and buy that one, those of us who wouldn't buy a paper otherwise will pick up the free ones.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Newspapers

J -

As Bojangles says, the Evening Standard has been particularly hit by the two new evening free sheets. While this is very welcome to we Guardian-reading lefties (the Standard is very right-wing, and often nicknamed the "Evening Fascist"), it is a shame, if predictable, that the more popular of the free sheets is published by Murdoch.

London
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Newspapers

Never heard it called the Evening Fascist, maybe because I've never read the Guardian.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Newspapers

:)

Common parlance in my circle of friends. That and "E'en Sta'it"

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Newspapers

And "The Paper That Loves To Hate London" ;)

London
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Newspapers

Seems you might need to widen your circle of friends and diversify a little. Only messing.

It's a big case of pay your money, take your choice though and thank goodness we have such a large number of daily papers on offer to us.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Newspapers

Actually, I;d suggest that if you know no-one who calls it the Evening Fascist, it might be you that needs to widen your circle of acquaintances.

Only messing, of course.