We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Library for non-resident s?

NJ
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Library for non-resident s?

Will be living in London for 3-5 months & wonder if there are any

libraries available for Americans? Just looking for novels,fiction,

nothing academic.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Library for non-resident s?

In Tower Hamlets (East London), the libraries are called "Idea Store". There are several in the area, there is also a new one at Canary Wharf. You can join for free just as long as you have a permanent address. Here's a link

www.ideastore.co.uk

Not sure of libraries in other areas of London, though!

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Library for non-resident s?

Anyone can join a library as long as they have proof of address in the relevant borough. After all, 25% of London's population is foreign.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,902 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Library for non-resident s?

The City of Westminster has libraries on Charing Cross Road, Church Street, in Maida Vale, Marylebone, Paddington - have a look at www.westminster.gov.uk/libraries/findalibrary for more info. The City of London has a nifty library below an office tower on Shoe Lane, near Ludgate Circus, as well as at the Barbican, Guildhall and Camomile Street.

The other London boroughs will offer library services as well. Proof of residence or employment in the borough is all you need to join.

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Library for non-resident s?

I don't really understand the question as libraries BY VERY DEFINITION are places open to the public to read- if you want to borrow books just ask! SOME have guest membership, or u can become a member- no payment required- then neglect your membership!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,899 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Library for non-resident s?

I believe that in order to borrow books from a library you have to get a library card. For this you need to show residence somehow, otherwise people would just walk off with all the books perhaps. Anyone can just go in and read a book there of course.

Usually once you are a member you will be allowed free, timed access to computers and the internet too, if they are available, so its handy for sending those messages home.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Library for non-resident s?

When I joined my local library I had to provide a bank statement, council tax or utility bill that proved my residence at that address, I am then free to use any library within the borough.

I am assuming that since you will only be in London for a short period you will not have your name on any bills. Perhaps you could look at the website for the borough in which you will be living (we can help you if you are not sure) and find out if there is anything that can be done.

The other option would be to purchase from second hand stores and then sell the books back when you are finished, obviously you would loose a bit of money but it is still cheaper than buying them brand new.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Library for non-resident s?

I joined the Canary Wharf library by showing my work ID. As the firm is based at Canary Wharf this was acceptable. I didn't have to show any utility bills.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Library for non-resident s?

Different library authorities have different rules about membership. One almost always has to show proof of residency or a work address in the area. Take a look at www.londonlibraries.org. Click on Public Libraries and you can look at the websites for the libraries in particular areas of London. These give details of where the libraries are and how to join.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,899 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Library for non-resident s?

Some posters to this forum have in the past managed to get visitors membership to libraries - its worth making enquiries of whichever borough you're in.

Many of them have contact details and useful information on their websites

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Library for non-resident s?

As an alternative, there are plenty of charity shops and also second hand bookshop,s, where you could buy a paperback from 50p to £2 or so,and you could also sell the books back when read (some shops will buy them back at 1/2 price paid)

They aren't specifially for Americans though :-)