We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Underground at Night

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, UK
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
London Underground at Night

My friend and I are travelling to London in a couple of weeks. I have been before and have used the underground during the day. I need to travel from Liverpool St to Vauxhall, just wondering about safety. Is it safe for us to be travelling at night (around 10pm), we are staying for the weekend so will have bags with us?

If not the tube anyone know how much a taxi would be, the journey is about 4 miles I think by car?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,380 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Underground at Night

You should be perfectly safe on the tube at 10pm. I used it several times recently at that hour. If you have far to go once you get to Vauxhall then you might want a taxi but you should not need it to get there.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Underground at Night

Yes, you should be fine and have nothing to fear riding the Tube then. The point about having luggage only means you may have to carry that up or down stairs at the Tube stations.

At that time, the Tube will be a lot busier than you may think. Very often, I find the Tube is busier at 10pm than at some times during the day.

How far from Vauxhall station are you staying? That's where I'd be more nervous at night.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,120 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Underground at Night

Liverpool Street to Vauxhall is an easy enough trip: Central line to Oxford Circus, then change to the Victoria line to Vauxhall. At 2200, there should be a fair number of people on the tube, and it's not quite chucking out time, so happy weekenders should still be in the pubs.

A black cab from Liverpool Street should cost between £12-17, depending on the time - fares do go up a bit after 2200hrs. Have a look at the fares listing at the TfL website's Public Carriage Office page. Do use a proper black cab if you choose that way to travel, rather than a minicab, for your safety.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London Underground at Night

10pm isn't particuarly ''late'''in London anyway. Many people will be finishing work at that time in the Liverpool Street area.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Underground at Night

If you are flying into Stansted, take the Stansted Express to Tottenham Hale and change on to the Victoria Line there. The interchange is much easier than at Oxford Circus.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Underground at Night

Or take the Terravision or National Express coach to Victoria. Vauxhall is only across the river.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: London Underground at Night

Yes - the tube is safe.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Underground at Night

In the underground there is neither night nor day - so any danger is omni present. And oft in the guise of a bad mime artist or guitar player.

Glasgow, UK
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: London Underground at Night

Thanks everyone think were just gonna get a taxi for quickness also the hotel is about a 7 min walk from the tube station don't fancy the walk.

10. Re: London Underground at Night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 13:18