We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Question for AdamH Re: Eurostar

AdamHornets: Whoa! what happened to the Eurostar prem prices of 59.00 GBP for 2 seniors to Paris? I've been off the boards for a week and just plugged in a Sat. morning 2 months off just to see what would come up. They used to have 59.00 prem prices when you booked both an outward bound & return trip. Now the price is $140.00 USD or $178.00 depending on one-way or both ways. And it's now giving the price in USD instead of GBP.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,342 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for AdamH Re: Eurostar

I suspect Adam has gone to Bedfordshire, so I shall have a guess.

Since the least expensive tickets go first, the £59 fares may have been sold out. Also, and this irritates me a lot, single fares (esp on Eurostar) can cost considerably more than the cheapest return fare - again, there is a bit of give, depending on when you book and for what class of service.

If you're getting prices in $US but want £GB, you'll need to clear the cookies from your browser - your computer may have dropped a cookie at the Eurostar site if you've ever selected the US/Canada when offered a choice, and it will default to fares in $US thereafter.

Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for AdamH Re: Eurostar

Thanks for the reply, TravlerPlus. I'm not sure how to clear the cookies, so I'll have to ask DH, my computer guru. I might have messed up when I registered with the Eurostar site, so now they know I'm from the US and that's what I'm stuck with for now. I even tried dates almost 3 months ahead and still no 59 gbp fares like there used to be. However, the $140 for 2 seniors booked with a return trip (which we shall not use) is not too far off from the 59 gbp. That would be about $120 in USD if I figured it right.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for AdamH Re: Eurostar

mimicr: It's quite easy to clear your cookies. If you have a PC with Windows, go to the start button in the lower left hand corner of yoru screen, click on it, scroll up to Control Panel (usually on the right hand column), then click on Internet Options, then on the second section, you'll see "Delete Cookies." Click on that, and there you have it.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,980 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for AdamH Re: Eurostar

Air travel, especially through London airports has been a complete PITA since August. Security is invasive and inconvenient.

People are voting with their feet if they can and using the train for shorter trips. Business folk are travelling to Paris to get transatlantic flights.

So, Eurostar have no need of bargain fares. They are enjoying a boom

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for AdamH Re: Eurostar

>>> People are voting with their feet if they can and using the train for shorter trips <<<

Hurrah!

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for AdamH Re: Eurostar

>>>Business folk are travelling to Paris to get transatlantic flights.<<<

Sheer nonsense. The inconvenience of travelling to Paris (which also has increased security) is far more than the inconvenience of London airports security.

What evidence do you have to support your statement?

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for AdamH Re: Eurostar

Official figures are that Eurostar passenger numbers went up only by 10% over the last year.

Hardly justifies some of the posts above.

Eurotunnel are currently under the protection of a French court order to allow them time to restructure their debts. They have officially said they cannot operate beyond January unless the banks agree reschedule these debts.

If Eurotunnel did go bankrupt, would Eurostar still be able to operate through the tunnel?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,980 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for AdamH Re: Eurostar

I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Maybe BAA publish passenger numbers through the airports? Does anyone know?

I'm only going by anecdotal evidence from friends and colleagues who have chosen that route, and by the fact that I walk past the Eurostar terminal every day and it seems a lot busier these days.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question for AdamH Re: Eurostar

As a PA who books thousands of pounds worth of travel every month I would have to say that I would be very surprised if any of my directors ever wanted to travel via Paris to avoid London airports. A 2 3/4 hour Eurostar to Gare du Nord, 1 hour train to the airport, 2 hour minimum check in time just to not go via Heathrow seems pretty silly.

2 months time is the xmas/new year period so not too surprising that prices are high.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,745 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question for AdamH Re: Eurostar

mimiccr,

I had a play around on the Eurostar site and the £59 return fares are still there. I first fed in Sat Jan 6, returning Sun Jan 7 and the outward fare was £29.50 but the best return fare in the afternoon or evening was £49.50 making a total of £79 which is about $150. By returning earlier in the day the £29.50 fare was available.

I also fed in Fri Jan 12, returning Mon Jan 15 and the £29.50 fare was available all day on both legs.

I would guess that December is a popular time for romantic pre and post Christmas breaks as well as Christmas shopping trips hence the lack of great deals.

Good luck in sorting out your cookies and please let me know if I can help further.

adamhornets@yahoo.com