We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From London, with love....

New York, NY
Level Contributor
161 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
From London, with love....

So I am leaving Friday! HURRAH! I am ready to take all of the great advice I have gotten from TALF and put it to good use...but here is one more questions (Yes, I have many..)

What is a great gift to bring back home from London? Something uniquely London, that isn't from Harrod's (although they do have cute things), and is easy to pack? I have a list of people that I am sure will be expecting something. Ha!

Thoughts?

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: From London, with love....

Best wishes for a pleasurable trip -- I'm envious :)

As for a souvenir-type gift, I suppose it depends upon cost. Simple, inexpensive gifts/reminders I've brought home have been tea towels. Also, large, unique postcards/photos. And many shops sell these prints that look like watercolour painted etchings; these come in large (18X24"?) & small (5X7?) sizes.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From London, with love....

Leesh: Three more days -- yeah for you! As for souvenirs, there are lots of ideas on this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k78878…

Museum and church shops have lots of interesting and inexpensive items.

California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: From London, with love....

When I was travelling to London 8 years ago on my very expensive "dates" with my English (now) hubby, I worked in a restaurant and I'd always bring back those packages of the "fun size" chocolates for the crew. They were always thrilled to receive them! Also, I brought back teas, fridge magnets, (I still have a "mind the gap" one on my fridge) and shot glasses (well cushioned with paper) for various folks... small and easy to bring back lots!

But don't worry.. just walking around Piccidilly and Oxford... you'll get tons of fun ideas! :-)

OMG! Have SUCH a blast!!

Cheers!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: From London, with love....

Have a wonderful trip Leesh. I think my favorite souvenirs are the Christmas ornaments I picked up at Buckingham Palace (embroidered crowns), chocolate .................. and my Watford team shirt, my Watford team poster (signed) and my autographed photo of Jay DeMerit

GO 'ORNS!!!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From London, with love....

Have a great time, Leesh. Is this your first time to London?

I favor flat, unbreakable, lightweight items for souvenirs (gifts). The best are tea towels and fridge magnets. And they're inexpensive. Chocolates, like the long bars from Windsor Castle and the Tower, are also well received and travel well.

manchester uk
Level Contributor
300 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From London, with love....

a bag of cadburys mini chocolate bars is a good idea - bought from any supermarket and inexpensive.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,906 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From London, with love....

Of course, you're coming at the right time of year to buy loads of calendars. Choose between London pictures or UK pictures, and thousands of different calendars between.

Have a great trip (and you've still got a day left for those last-minute questions ;-) )

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From London, with love....

Well, my co-workers practically knock me down at the door to get at the mini Cadbury bars I pick up in duty-free. Often they have deals like buy 2 bags, get one free.

Other favorites have been:

Handmade items from Camden and Greenwich markets

Cadbury hot chocolate packets

Smint mints

Bendick's chocolate mint crisps (I've found them at Harrod's & Fortnum's) www.bendicks.co.uk/index.php?modul=b114

Stuff from Paperchase.

Also people love receiving the charity-sponsored Christmas cards. (I've found some cool ones at Paperchase as well as in local churches.)

9. Re: From London, with love....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 17:20