We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London traditions?

Umea, Sweden
Level Contributor
299 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
London traditions?

This has probably been posted before, sorry to be repetitive if it has, but here´s a question for all of you who have been to London more than once...and everyon else as well of course.

Do you have any must do´s when you get to London? One specific place you always have to visit? A particular item you have to purchase?

My London tradition would be buying Harrods christmas teddy, I always make sure to get a meduim one and one to hang in the christmas tree when we´re in London.

Oh and for some reason we always use the restrooms at Harrods as well....every time we´ve been we´ve ended up using the restrooms....lol

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London traditions?

careful michellin, the way this forum has been going the past few days, this thread will be closed off before its started!; the thread could be construed as off topic, ie not strictly travel related in some peoples eyes!!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London traditions?

For me, no trip to London is complete without a trip to Fortnum & Mason to stock up on my favorite tea - the English Breakfast tea. And I usually pick up a few other goodies while I'm there. It's a great place to buy food gifts for people back home.

And a stop at a grocery store (Tesco, Sainsbury, Marks & Spencer) is a must - to pick up some UK favorites (at better prices than Fortnum's.)

I also pop into Marks & Spencer for their cotton knickers. :o)

Windsor
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London traditions?

Many of my journeys into London are for meetings in the Earls Court & Kensington area.

I'm afraid I've got into the penny pinching habbit of going into the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum taking their complementary coffee, settling down in a comfy armchair and taking in the morning newspapers to set me up for the day.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London traditions?

The first thing I always do is make a beeline for Trafalgar Square, then return at least every other day. I absolutely love that place.

Another must-do is crossing the Millenium Bridge towards St. Paul's. It's a stunning view.

Then I'm off on new adventures, what I haven't seen and done yet. After many visits I'm still finding new things every day to absolutely love about London.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London traditions?

DorneyBoy, do you mean you do that while not being a guest there? Cheeky!

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London traditions?

I usually take at least one trip to the Royal Courts of Justice on the Strand. They're open to the public and during the law terms (we're currently in the midst of the Michaelmas Law Term) you can walk into most of the courts and watch the drama of human life and failings unfold before your eyes.

I was there for the Bruce Grobelaar defamation proceedings against one of the red top newspapers. Kelvin McKenzie, the editor of the paper, was in the witness box on the day in question, and he was a very impressive performer. The late George Carmen QC was the counsel for one of the parties. In the end, after several twists and turns, Grobelaar ended up losing a lot of money on this litigation.

Topeka, KS, USA
Level Contributor
546 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London traditions?

I love Westminster Abbey and the stalls at Covent Garden, but its hard to pick just one or two "favorite things." There are so many, many things to do and see in this wonderful city. But re the "loos" my all time favorite was the ladies lavatory on the street level at the Ritz Hotel. Cute thought you inserted there, Michelin.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London traditions?

Oh, another of my non-shopping must-do's is a walk along the Thames in the evening to see the Westminster area - Big Ben, Parliament - all lit up. And to hear Big Ben strike the hour. Gives me chills every time!!

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London traditions?

Ooer, Insightful, our paths may have crossed.

I too like a peek at the wheels of justice turning over.

In previous times, I prolly would have gained a place as an Expert Tricoteusse ;-)

Hang 'em, Flog 'em

<whoops, never meant to use my fulll name>

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London traditions?

michelin: I always visit certain shops (Harrods, Fortnum & Mason, Selfridges) just to have a look at what's new and to do some shopping. I also try to visit various museums -- there are always new exhibits or rehangings to see. Supermarket visits are a must -- not just for meals, but for cheap souvenirs. And my absolute must-do is bookstore shopping -- many UK-authored books are released months ahead of their US publications so it's always a thrill to purchase new books by favorite authors.