We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Type of clothing needed

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Caribbean
Level Contributor
62 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Type of clothing needed

Hi, coming from the Caribbean to London for two weeks in December and I would like to know what type of clothing is necessary for the expected weather at that time, thank you.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,334 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Type of clothing needed

Trini, everyone always advises wearing layers (long-sleeved Tshirt, pullover etc) and a waterproof jacket on top. I hope you can find something appropriate where you are. Check the weather reports closer to the time you are coming to see what it is doing. You can be sure there will be a mixture of sunny days and rainy ones. Even more important are comfortable shoes which will withstand a bit of rain.

The Christmas lights will be up and London will be looking beautiful!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Type of clothing needed

TriniGail: I second Molly's suggestions. Layers are the way to go so you can peel on or off if you get too hot (while on the Tube or in stores) or too cold (while walking outside). Also bring an umbrella.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Type of clothing needed

Ironic, while you're flying over to visit London, lots of Londoners will be passing you the other way to the Caribbean to seek warmer temperatures! Got a ton of mates booked and ready to go.

I third the layers and one waterproof rain coat / jacket. You might feel the cold more coming from the warm Caribbean so maybe a tee shirt under a shirt with a cardigan, sweater or sweatshirt on top, then if you do get very warm you can strip down to the tee shirt. Do you have gloves? You might need them.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Type of clothing needed

I'd say the most important thing is confortable,warm , waterproof shoes as you will be walking ALOT!!

If you have gym shoes that you feel comfortable then bring those.

For other thigs you can no doubt buy things you need if you don't have enough warm clothes.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
62 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Type of clothing needed

Thank you all so much for the information, I will certainly be layering. It will be an experience to be sure.

Edmonton
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Type of clothing needed

I was in London last March, a scarf and gloves are a must!!! Gloves sre very usefull, while holding your umbrella your hands can get very cold.

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Type of clothing needed

Wear what Londoners wear- t-shirts and trousers/skirts and tights with jumpers and coats- they can always come off if the temperature rises!

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Type of clothing needed

Come prepared with gloves, scarves and hats but they will need to come off whenever the temp. rises!

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Type of clothing needed

This should be a sticky!

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply