We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Luton and then to Edinburgh

Franklin...
Level Contributor
252 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Luton and then to Edinburgh

I'm going to be in London next week and my husband will be attending a conference. I've been to London several times and have never been to Edinburgh (always wanted to go). I know that going for a day is crazy and that's not enough time to see this amazing city but I'm still seriously considering it. We're staying at the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury. If I took a flight from Luton, is it easy to get to the airport from the hotel? Can you get there via the Tube? Also, how long does it take to get there and how much time in advance would I need to arrive before the flight leaves? I'm prepared for everyone to tell me not to do this but I'd really like to make it work since it will cost me less than $100 including the bus fare into Edinburgh (not sure how much it will cost to get to Luton)!!! Thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury
Holiday Inn London...
2,954 Reviews
London, UK
Luton
Luton
Bedfordshire, UK
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,468 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Luton and then to Edinburgh

Are you staying at the HI on Coram Street or King's Cross Road? They're fairly close to each other, and close to King's Cross station as well. Luton airport itself is 32 miles north of London, and not part of the Underground system, though.

First Capital Connect (railway company) will take you from King's X to Luton Parkway in about 35 minutes. From the rail station, you can catch a free shuttle bus to the terminal building - takes about ten minutes. easyBus operate a coach service from Baker Street (on the Circle, Metropolitan and Hammersmith & City line from King's Cross) for as little as £2 one way. Time from central London to LTN would depend on time of day and traffic conditions. I tried to open the timetable, and got an error message - you may have better luck.

Have you booked a ticket from LTN to EDI yet? If you choose one of the low cost carriers, such as easyJet or Ryanair, remember that you must be at the checkin desk within the airline's time frame. If your train is delayed and you're late for checkin, you'll not be allowed to travel, and will have to buy another ticket.

Have you looked at rail tickets? GNER have good service from King's Cross, and although it takes longer on the train than to fly, you'd be able to watch the beautiful north of England go past.

You may have to get up ++++ early to get to the airport, but if you're keen, then go for it.

Mentioned in this post
King's Cross
King's Cross
182 Reviews
London, UK
King's Cross Station
King's Cross Station
1,754 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Luton
Luton
Bedfordshire, UK
Baker Street
Baker Street
348 Reviews
London, UK
Hammersmith
Hammersmith
112 Reviews
London, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Franklin...
Level Contributor
252 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Luton and then to Edinburgh

Thanks Traveller. We're staying at the HI in Coram so would I still take the train from King's Cross? I did already purchase the ticket and saw that I need to check in 40 minutes in advance. I tried to check in online but my boarding pass printed out without my info on it (and it won't let me reprint) so I guess I need to get there the full 40 minutes ahead of time. My flight is at 7:55 so if I take a train that's schedule to arrive around 6:35, do you think that gives me enough time to get the shuttle over to the airport? Also, how much time to I need to give myself to get from the hotel to the train station at a little before 6a.m.?

I know this is a little crazy but I'm excited to do it anyway!

Mentioned in this post
King's Cross
King's Cross
182 Reviews
London, UK
London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Luton and then to Edinburgh

personally I think 6.35 scheduled arrival at Luton Parkway (remember Luton Parkway not Luton) is a bit tight. The budget carriers are VERY strict with their check in procedures, if you arrive 1 minute after they have closed the flight you will not be allowed to fly, without exception. Personally I would aim to arrive at the station a bit earlier to allow you some breathing space.

Although it will be a long day it is worth the trip, Edinburgh is a fantastic city. The bus to the city is right outside the terminal building, make sure you buy a return ticket as it is cheaper than 2 singles. Depending on traffic it is about 20 minutes into the city centre. Enjoy your day!

Mentioned in this post
Luton
Luton
Bedfordshire, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,920 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Luton and then to Edinburgh

Doing an overnight journey on the sleeper train one way would mean more time in Edinburgh.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Luton and then to Edinburgh

I agree about the sleeper, but even if you didn't want the overnight journey, you could get a train at 6:15 or 7am from Kings Cross, and be in the centre of Edinburgh by 11.30 with no faffing about.

Your flight will get in around 9:15 - 9:30 (if no delays) and it could take you an hour to get into the city centre.

see www.seat61.com or www.thetrainline.co.uk for details of train travel.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,914 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Luton and then to Edinburgh

It looks like you have purchased your plane ticket so what the heck, have a great day and let's hope that there is no fog around to delay you.

It's about a 20 minute walk from your hotel to Kings Cross Thameslink and the train that gets into Luton Parkway at 6.35 departs from Kings Cross at 5.52. Then you may have to wait for the free transfer bus to the terminal. Personally I think that just about leaves you enough time but it is tight and you may want to get the earlier train that is scheduled to depart Kings Cross Thameslink at 5.22 and arrive at Luton Parkway at 6.05.

Mentioned in this post
Luton
Luton
Bedfordshire, UK
7. Re: Travel to Luton and then to Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 07:20