We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting London in a weekend

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY, New York
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting London in a weekend

Me and my boyfriend are visiting London later this month. We are planning to go for a London Eye ride either on a Friday or Saturday. Is it worth it to more to get the fast track tickets? We are staying in London for 2 nights. any suggesstions on where we must visit?

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting London in a weekend

artaap: I wouldn't get the fast track tickets unless it's a brilliantly sunny day and the lines are long.

Why not take a hop-on/hop-off bus tour to get an idea of the top attractions and then visit those that interest you? You can take a look at the routes and stops here:

http://www.bigbus.co.uk/

http://www.londonpride.co.uk/

NY, New York
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting London in a weekend

Does anyone knows the schedule of the Changing the guards takes place in front of Buckingham Palace for December 2006?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting London in a weekend

According to the website the changing of the guards occurs:

November - Odd numbered dates (1, 3, 5, etc)

December - Even numbered dates (2, 4, 6, etc)

www.royalcollection.org.uk/default.asp…

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting London in a weekend

Regards changing of the guards I've always felt visitors get a better experience going to Horseguards and watching the Guards close up changing - no crowds, railings and distant views like at Buckingham Palace , you're just a few yards from the guards.

You get the smell of horse pooh here, not hot dogs

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting London in a weekend

My personal opinion artaap, seeing as you're going to London for just *a* weekend, there are many other better things you want to see than Changing of Guards. I personally found it overrated simply because it's so crowded, everyone trying to peek through the gates, etc that it wasn't much value for us. I like LeeB's idea of taking the Hop On Hop Off bus as it gives you a good idea of what London is.

Another point you definitely want to spend some time in the Southwark area (which is basically London Eye). St.Pauls and Westminster Abbey are my 2 favourites of London.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting London in a weekend

Since you're going on a weekend, I would highly recommend pre-paying for London Eye tickets.

Consider a stroll down to Tate Modern to slide down the current exhibit.

Ireland
Level Contributor
144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting London in a weekend

I visited London 3rd to 6th November 2006, We did the bus tour on saturday "Original Tour" which gives free boat trip on Thames, also visited London eye waiting time for tickets and time to get on about 25-30 mins alltogether( I thought it would be more). You can also get 2 for 1 deal with oyster card. That left us sunday to go see anything that we wanted to visit. Would recommend taking in show Mamma Mia excelent.

California
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting London in a weekend

My vote is to do the Tower of London... my friend and I did the audio tour, and it was great! Full of interesting and amusing stories and details! Go early!

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting London in a weekend

There are lots to see in London, but since you and your boyfriend are only in London for 2 nights, I would recommend the following:

Tower of London

Tower Bridge

Buckingham Palace

Convent Garden

Oxford Street & Regents Street (the xmas lights may be on by then)

Marble Arch

St Paul's Cathedral

Trafalgar Square

Leicester Square

Westminster Abbey

Big Ben & Houses of Parliament

Transport for London (which is the governing body for the London transport system) have an offer to get 2 for 1 tickets for the London eye. The only clause is it the ticket has to be purchased on the day and you have to have used an Oyster card to travel to The london Eye.

There are also a lot of museums and galleries, but i doubt you would have time for them in the short space of time you are in London.

If you want more information about the London eye offer, here is the website : tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…index.asp

and go to the attractions tab.

10. Re: Visiting London in a weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 07:17