We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your list of Top 10 Things to Do/Sites to See in London

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
775 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Your list of Top 10 Things to Do/Sites to See in London

I leave one week from today for a 6 night jaunt to London. Six nights is a good amount of time but certainly not enough to see the bulk of London's main attractions let alone experience the more obscure, umm, experiences.

So what would you say are the top 10 things that someone should do when visiting London for the first time? I assure you that general pub-attendance will be checked off the list on an almost hourly basis.

Here are some things at the top of my list:

1) Attend football game (tickets already purchased)

2) Ride London Eye (tickets will be reserved shortly)

3) British Museum

4) Westminster Abbey

5) Tower of London

6) National Gallery

Thanks!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
775 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your list of Top 10 Things to Do/Sites to See in London

I forgot to add the War/Churchill Museum thing to my list. I just hope my girlfriend has an interest in it.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,862 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your list of Top 10 Things to Do/Sites to See in London

Greenwich Observatory (and the meridian line, and that pub with the microbrewery that someone recommended - the name escapes me)

via a boat trip down the Thames

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your list of Top 10 Things to Do/Sites to See in London

rca215: If you can't take a boat trip, definitely try to take a walk along the Thames. And if the weather is nice, a walk through one of the many parks (St. James, Green, Hyde, Kensington Gardens) is also a must do. How about a visit to Covent Garden?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your list of Top 10 Things to Do/Sites to See in London

rca - do the tours at the Tower and WA. They are both worth it. The Tower tour is free and the WA tour is around £4.

How about a day trip to Hampton Court or Windsor? I loved Hampton Court. I haven't been to Windosr yet - but am going next week.

USA
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your list of Top 10 Things to Do/Sites to See in London

"I forgot to add the War/Churchill Museum thing to my list. I just hope my girlfriend has an interest in it." You are taking a long enough trip that the two of you could split up for a while and do things that the other is not interested in.

8) British Museum

9) London Walks - www.walks.com

10) St. Paul's Cathedral

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Your list of Top 10 Things to Do/Sites to See in London

rca ~ I like a guy who has his priorities in order....football at the top of the list (which match? favorite team?) and pub stops.

If you are at the National Gallery and have any interest in the figures of English history...pop next door to the National Portrait Gallery and see portraits of Queen Elizabeth I and many other famous folk. The British Museum is worth quite a few hour and is fabulous (make sure to walk across the street from the entrance and have a pint at the Museum Tavern where Karl Marx used to drink, some lovely cask conditioned ales on tap)

I would also add St Paul's Cathedral if you have time.....it's an amazing place. and you can climb to the top and have a fantastic view.

If you are looking for good pubs in the areas where you will be visiting....check out www.fancyapint.com for recommendations or www.beerintheevening.com (I find the fancyapint site easier to use)

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
427 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your list of Top 10 Things to Do/Sites to See in London

The Blackfriar

The Lamb

Olde Mitre

Seven Stars

Churchill Arms

Holly Bush

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese

Nag's Head

Star Tavern

Royal Oak

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your list of Top 10 Things to Do/Sites to See in London

Top 10 things to see/do in London:

Actually, the list changes based on what I saw last and what my current mood is. Right now:

1. Visit Trafalgar Square for at least an hour to check out the fountains, sculptures, the view down Whitehall, people watching.

2. Visit Parliament Square for the exquisite Gothic architecture of Parliament and Westminster Abbey. Try to be there at 11:00 or 12:00 for the full effect of Big Ben.

3. Big Bus open-top tour, so you can simply soak in the atmosphere while someone explains what you're seeing.

4. Take a walk from the Tower of London, over Tower Bridge, past the left-leaning new City Hall, HMS Belfast, Hay's Galleria etc. all the way down to the Millenium Bridge. Extraordinary views, especially of St Paul's as you cross the Millenium Bridge.

5. Imperial War Museum

6. British Museum

7. Tate Britain

8. Hyde Park, especially for the Albert Memorial.

9. Victoria & Albert Museum

10. Your own discovery of whatever suits your fancy.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Your list of Top 10 Things to Do/Sites to See in London

>>> that pub with the microbrewery <<<

In Greenwich, or in Blackheath? If the latter, the wonderfuylly named "Zero Degrees". If in Greenwich, the Greeniwch Union, home to Meantime beer (although I am disapoointed to see they seem to gratuitously ship their IPA around the world before selling it back here)

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Your list of Top 10 Things to Do/Sites to See in London

(although I feel I should point out that Meantime brewery is actually in Charlton, a couple of miles up the road, not housed in the pub)