We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Eurostar Train Station in London

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Topic
New Eurostar Train Station in London

FYI

Eurostar announced that as of November 14th 2007, the train stop in London will switch from Waterloo station to St Pancras International. They say that this station is more convenient as it is served by 6 subway lines and several train lines. The move from Waterloo will be done overnight.

At the same time, the travel time from Paris to London will be reduced from 2hours and forty minutes to 2 hours and 15 minutes, as fast speed rails will be installed on the English side.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Eurostar Train Station in London

Boy, I was confused there for a second. I knew they were moving the station and read November 14th, and thought OMG it is today! But of course, it is in exactly one years time.

I quite like the Eurostar being at Waterloo but I'm sure its new home will be fine.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Eurostar Train Station in London

Of course, they are going to rename St Pancras "Agincourt" just to keep up the English tradition of rubbing the Frenchies noses in it when they arrive from Paris by train.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Eurostar Train Station in London

Oh B****r! Waterloo was really convenient for me; St Pancras isn't. Why wasn't I consulted? Better go to France before the year's up, then.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New Eurostar Train Station in London

Yes - being in SE London, Waterloo was pretty damned convenient for me, too.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,573 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Eurostar Train Station in London

Me too. Good job I'm going next week-end!

London
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: New Eurostar Train Station in London

Just a short walk for me to get there for me but with the time saved on the journey from the new departure point it will work out the same in the end.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: New Eurostar Train Station in London

I wonder what's to become of the current European terminal at Waterloo. It seems sinful to have put so much time and money and so many other resources into building to abandon it after just a few years.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Eurostar Train Station in London

Presumably they just won't abandon Waterloo and some positive will come out.

My own bee in the bonnet is thay 'save' the Gatwick Express and reroute it into the vacant platforms at Waterlooa

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: New Eurostar Train Station in London

According to "Auntie":

"Waterloo's international terminal will then be handed back to the government, which has promised to use the platforms to reduce congestion for domestic commuter trains."

I like the idea of routing the GEx to there, though :)

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Eurostar Train Station in London

It is odd seeing Stratford International sitting in the middle of nowhere.

Think of all those people who bought houses in Ashford for the quick link to Paris.