We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tube stations that are near each other

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tube stations that are near each other

Something most Londoners learn in time is which stations on different lines are near enough to each other that you can effectively use them as unpublicised interchanges - I mean things like Lancaster Gate (on the Central line) being within walking distance of Paddington.

Is this information already published on TA somewhere? If not, would there be any interest in me drawing up a list?

London, England
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tube stations that are near each other

Hi,

Although I live in London, I would find a list like that tremendously usefull. Particularly as I get a lot of family over from Canada.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tube stations that are near each other

Didn't someone draw up a tube style map that showed you which stations were in walking distance of each other?

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tube stations that are near each other

He did, but the money-grubbing tykes at London Underground asserted their copyright and make him take it down! It was being mirrored at some overseas sites for a while -'ll see if I can find a link.

I'll have a first stab at drawing up the list. SHould I make this an inside page - the would mean others could contribute to and correct it, right?

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tube stations that are near each other

I think that would be the best option, that way people can add in the ones that they know of from their local area or daily commute. I'd help but I'm terrible with stations, I know the ones I need to know and that is it!

Where are insider pages displayed? I've never gone looking for one.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tube stations that are near each other

Here's a first stab at the list, with just the most central stations to begin with. ANy corrections or additions welcome. Each line shows stations that are within my idea of walking distance of each other, with the lines they are on in brakcets afterwards. There's a key to the lines at the bottom. I only list "walking interchanges" that are between station not already on the same line.

Paddington (B, Ci, Di, H) - Lancaster Gate (Ce)

Great Portland Street (H, Ci, M) - Regent's Park (B)

Great Portland Street (H, Ci, M) - Warren Street (N, V)

Great Portland Street (H, Ci, M) - Goodge Street (N)

Warren Street (N, V) - Euston Square (H, Ci, M)

Euston (N, V) - Euston Square (H, Ci, M)

Bayswater (Ci, D) - Queensway (Ce)

Tottenham Court Road (Ce) - Covent Garden (P)

Farringon (H, Ci, M) - Chancery Lane (Ce)

Cannon Street (Ci, Di) - Bank (Ce, N, W, DLR)

Cannon Street (Ci, Di) - St Paul's (Ce)

Mansion House (Ci, Di) - St Paul's (Ce)

Blackfriars (Ci, Di) - St Paul's (Ce)

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tube stations that are near each other

Sorry - forgot key for lines:

Ce - Central

Ci - Circle

Di - District

DLR - Docklands Light Railway

H - Hammersmith & City

M - Metropolitan

N - Northern

P - Piccadilly

V - Victoria

W - Waterloo & City

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tube stations that are near each other

The nearest stations in track distance are (I believe) Holborn and Covent Garden. Although both are on the Piccadilly Line, it you are on the Central line, it is quicker to leave at Holborn and walk to Covent Garden. That also has the advantage of passing the Princess Louise, which then means all that time saved can be put to good use.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tube stations that are near each other

I've added this (including Mr C's point about Holborn/Covent garden) as a paragraph to the Inside Page about transportation: mhttp://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-s303/London:United-Kingdom:Public.Transportation.html

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tube stations that are near each other

What do you call walking distance? Green Park and Picadilly are also within walking distance of each other in my opinion (5-10) depending on your pace. I also always walk from Leceister Square to Covent Garden which is a bit longer but it isn't worth the hassle of changing lines and waiting for those lifts at Covent Garden.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tube stations that are near each other

I agree, but those pairs of stations already share a line, so I dind't include them. I shan't be offended if you want to add them to the page, though!