We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas at Heathrow

New Zealand
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Christmas at Heathrow

Hello all. We are a family of 4 (2 teenagers) and will be arriving at Heathrow around 1.30pm Xmas day. We have a hotel near the airport booked and are flying on to Scotland Boxing day. Can anyone advise where to go for an evening meal Xmas night? What's the transport like? Is it worth a trip into the city? Any other suggestions as to things to do are welcome.We will be tired but not too keen to spend the whole afternoon and evening in a hotel!

Thanks

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas at Heathrow

Sweeper3: There is no transport on Christmas day. Have a look at this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k87346…

Maybe you can have a nice meal at the hotel or take a long walk around the area.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas at Heathrow

You will need to book any meals - see earlier threads.

There is no public transport on Christmas Day. If you land at 1.30 you will not emerge till maybe 3 and it will be dark. You could get a taxi to Central London and walk around. Everything will be closed but lit up.

Or you could get a taxi to Southall, which is the Indian district very near the airport. There may be shops and restaurants open there and you might not need to book. I would research this in advance on the Internet.

London
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas at Heathrow

As others have said everything in London is closed Christmas Day -like a ghost town - even the chain restaurants seem to be closed. Your best bet is to search internet to see if any restaurants are doing an evening meal - in London most people eat their Xmas Day meal at lunchtime.

Also if you decide to take a taxi into the centre BEWARE they will cost double the normal rate. Same applies to private hire cars as well.

Even the cinemas and theatres are closed.

If you do stay in the hotel you will surely be able to get a meal there and you are bound to have a TV in your room. There are always loads of films on over Christmas.

I am a Londoner and if you want any more info just ask.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas at Heathrow

As others have said, by the time you got to London it would be dark, and unless you walked around, you'd have to pay a very expensive cab fare to take you round the sights.

The cost of getting into and out of London would also be prohibitive, because there is no public transport so you'd have to go by cab, I'm guessing at at least £50 each way ith nothing to do when you get there as its closed :-)

I think your best bet really is to stay in the hotel, maybe finding a nearby restaurant if one is open in the evening, though the choice will be quite limited, probably pizza or indian!

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas at Heathrow

Given the hassle of leaving, I would just have Christmas dinner at the hotel.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,338 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas at Heathrow

Boy, did you pick the wrong time to land at Heathrow! Seriously, London will be closed, no restaurants, no transport apart from minicab drivers who may not be celebrating the same festival as we will. The suggestion to take one of these cabs into Southall for something to eat is probably best. It is a very large Indian/Sikh community and if you want a curry, you will be in heaven. If not, the hotel may well be holding a Christmas dinner for locals and residents which will be expensive and will need to be booked.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas at Heathrow

Is your overnight hotel booking set in stone?

Take a look at a very nice hotel close to LHR - The Pinewood at Slough. Several reviews here:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g190742-d585329…

Over the years, I've stayed in many of the corporate chain hotels around LHR & IMEx, the Pinewood is the cosiest & friendliest so fat, & the food is very good.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas at Heathrow

Thanks to you all. Looks like food at the hotel and some BBC! Can't wait to see the UK again. We will be in London again late January; looking forward to it.

Cheers

9. Re: Christmas at Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 09:20