We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most stressful job.

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Most stressful job.

It’s official (well according to the news this morning it was), that driving a London taxi is the most stressful job. Now I realise that the favoured mode of transport for most posters here is the tube or one of those mini-cab things, so as a regular user of their services I thought I would help spread the word.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,523 posts
1,683 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most stressful job.

Surprising, I thought it might be a junior doctor on 85 hour shift.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,089 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most stressful job.

How about someone teaching maths to reluctant 15 year olds in a state school?

London
Level Contributor
401 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most stressful job.

Air Traffic Controller ?

Although apparently librarians are seething masses of stress and anxiety (apologies to any librarians !)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4605476.stm

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most stressful job.

I watched the first episode of the BBC's series on the Brain Hospital at 9.00 p.m. last Wednesday. One of the consultants - who carries out invasive treatments on the brain almost every day of the week - explained how stressful it was to insert metal coils through a network of veins from the leg upwards in order to treat aneurysms on the brain.

The consultant always exercises incredible vigilance and cazre whenever he is performing this procedure. And most of the time it is successful. But occasionally the metal coil ruptures the side of an artery and the patient bleeds to death. And, if that happens, there's precious little the consultant can do to prevent it. Now that's what I call a stressful job.

Saxtons River...
Level Contributor
294 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most stressful job.

Hey wait; I'm a librarian who feels stress every day. I work in a school that serves pre-school age students up to the 8th grade (14 years old) and must plan daily lessons, run the library and help teachers with curriculum planning. I'm always so glad when vacation time rolls around, and I can relax (and go to London) where my days are unstructured and no one makes demands on me,..,

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most stressful job.

Bookwoman, strategically, it's never a good idea to complain about how stressful your own particular job is. The problem being that people never believe the complainer, "Me thinks the lady doth complain too much." If, however, as pointed out by an earlier and impartial third party to this thread, someone else states that librarianship is stressful, then you can say "I told you so."

London
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most stressful job.

I would have thought it was the Tube drivers. They always look unhappy.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most stressful job.

You would be too if jumpers constantly threw themselves onto the line in front of you.

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most stressful job.

How can cabbies have it worse than bus drivers? They get all the traffic-jam angst and passenger hassle plus poor pay & double the responsibilities since conductors were mostly scrapped.

A cabbie can simply flick his light off and head home for a cuppa when it's all too much. However did they manage to moan their way to the top of that list?

London
Level Contributor
513 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most stressful job.

Exactly that!! They've got the loudest moaning voice and the compilers of this not very scientific poll, obviously thought 'we'd better put the cabbies up at the top of the list, otherwise we'll never hear the end of i!'

I drive a cab in London and it's great fun!