We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prospective Law School student - Traveling

Bermuda
1 post
Save Topic
Prospective Law School student - Traveling

Hi all

I will be applying for Law School in England next year, and I am hoping to travel to England next June to look at some of the law schools. In particular, I am interested in touring the University of Kent in Canterbury, the College of Law, and Leeds University.

I have never been over to England. I want to begin planning my trip now. If I fly into London and want to get to Canterbury, what is the best and most cost-effective way to get there? Also, what would be the best way to get to Leeds from London?

Thanks

Traveling Student

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
City Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Prospective Law School student - Traveling

>>>Canterbury, what is the best and most cost-effective way to get there?<<<

Train.

>>>Also, what would be the best way to get to Leeds from London?<<<

Train.

Go to nationalrail.co.uk to get timetables or the respective train companies - Southeastern for Canterbury and GNER for Leeds.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,241 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prospective Law School student - Traveling

Trains to Leeds run from London Kings Cross. There are generally two trains an hour and the journey time is around 2 1/2 hours. The fare structure is complicated and you will quite likely find that buying two singles will be cheaper than a round trip (we say return) ticket as long as you book well in advance and travel on the nominated service. Turning up on the day could easily cost you over £70.00.

Canterbury is nearer London and therefore you can buy tickets on the day which will cost the same as purchasing them in advance. It's cheaper to travel after 9.30am.

There are two train stations in Canterbury. Canterbury West is nearer to the University and trains run from London Charing Cross (two an hour) or Victoria (one an hour), Journey time is around 90-100 minutes and a cheap day return is currently £18.40 but fares go up in the new year.

The best website for trip planning is www.thetrainline.com and you can also purchase tickets there.

Hope that helps and good luck.

adamhornets@yahoo.com

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prospective Law School student - Traveling

Cheapest way from Heathrow to Canterbury is by National Express coach, a single fare is about 15 GBP.

However, you change buses in Central London and the overall journey will typically be 4 hours. Frequency is broadly hourly.

By Underground/Train into London, then train out to Canterbury will typically take 2.5 hours and costs at least 50% more but is at least twice as frequent.

The same kind of speed/cost compromise applies to your London-Leeds trip as well.

National Express site is: www.nationalexpress.com

Windsor
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Prospective Law School student - Traveling

The rail fare increases for 2007 have just been announced - South East trains including the line down to Canterbury will increase by 11% in 2007 over 2006.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Prospective Law School student - Traveling

Is that a blanket 11%, or is it an average that includes the London zonal increases on SE Trains to bring them into line with tube fares, as part of the Oyster pre-pay rollout?

Windsor
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Prospective Law School student - Traveling

I sourced this info from the Times who used the London - Canterbury journey as one of the references - the 11% increase is for a standard day return from Jan 2nd.

See: timesonline.co.uk/TGD/…00.jpg

I think South Esatern fares are going up a lot more than other train operating companies.

7. Re: Prospective Law School student - Traveling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 08:19