We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable hotel rates...do they exist?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamden, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Topic
Reasonable hotel rates...do they exist?

I'm looking for a nice clean hotel in the Russel Square area preferably but not necessary. Everything I see seems to necessitate a second mortgage on my home. Can one be found for 50-60 pounds for two people with to beds? Anyone up for the challenge? Thanks in advance.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable hotel rates...do they exist?

Yes, you can get a 4* hotel for $60 - $100 (US) per night - by bidding on Priceline. I've used it several times for London (and other locals) with great success. I bid on a 4* in Kensington, Mayfair, Westminster or Bloomsbury (don't bid below 4* level in London.)

There are several threads on this forum on Priceline and Bidding For Travel. And you should familiarize yourself with www.biddingfortravel.com before bidding.

Here is a recent sample of hotels people have gotten in London (posted on the www.biddingfortravel.com website):

4* Hilton London Olympia 11 Dec $115

Kensington 4* Hilton London Olympia $78, 1/1-1/3

4* London The Tower- A Guoman Hotel 12/27-12/30 $90

4* Copthorne Tara Kensington 12/10-12/12 $100

4* Copthorne Tara Kensington 12/28/06-1/1/07 $77

4* Novotel London Euston -Bloomsbury/MA 12/18- 12/20/06 $68

4* Millennium Bailey's Kensington - 1/12 - 1/14 - $90

4* $111 12/12 Westminster Jolly St Ermin's

4* $95 12/13 Westminster Jolly St Ermin's

4* Kensington - Hilton London Olympia 2/26-2/28/07 $83

4* Bloomsbury - Novotel London Euston 12/25-12/28/06 - $65

4* Novotel London Euston 12.20.06-12.26.06 - $80

4* Bloomsbury Holiday Inn Kings Cross $160 11/30 - 12/4

5* Mayfair/Soho $229 St. Martins Lane 01/19-21

3* Thistle Kensington Park 11/28-12/1 $103

4* Thistle Marble Arch 11/26/06 $62

4* Holiday Inn Kensington Forum 11/22-24/06 $110

4* Hilton Metropole Regent/Baker Street 10/20 $80

4* Copthorne Tara Kensington $85 11/24-11/27

4* Riverbank Park Plaza Westminster $127 11/22/06

3* Mercure London City Bankside $85 11/30-12/2

4* Hilton Metropole Regents Park/Baker $83 4/14/07-4/17/07

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable hotel rates...do they exist?

Try www.hotelconnect.co.uk

Hamden, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonable hotel rates...do they exist?

Thanks so much.....very helpful....

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonable hotel rates...do they exist?

I think you need to reconsider your perspective before coming here. I wouldn't consider £50-60 a ''reasonable'' rate, more like rock bottom. If you don't get the idea that London is very expensive and the dollar increasingly worthless before you arrive, you're in for a shock.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonable hotel rates...do they exist?

That's why Priceline is such a great option for London. I wouldn't want to stay in a place I could get on my own for £50-60 per night. For the same amount of money, you can get a 4* hotel through Priceline. :o)

Sarasota, FL
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonable hotel rates...do they exist?

While Priceline is certainly worth it if bid right and it may be good value, do not be fooled into thinking most of these are 4 star hotels in a realistic sense of the rating.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonable hotel rates...do they exist?

Hotel ratings in general in the UK differ from the ratings in the US. Their rating system is based on amenities offered rather than quality of hotel. You can generally expect a 4* rated hotel in London to be the equivalent of a 3* - 3.5* hotel in the US. That's why it is risky to make a Priceline bid on less than a 4* hotel.

Sarasota, FL
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasonable hotel rates...do they exist?

True the ratings are different and I believe Kay is being generous equating a 4 star on Priceline with a 3 or 3.5 in the US.

Be sure to read some of the TA reviews for Priceline hotels in the area you want before bidding as they are mostly described as budget (nothing wrong with that, just be aware of what you are getting). After all there is a reason Priceline sells them.

I have found that I can often get as good a rack rates as Priceline by calling directly and then at a hotel I want. Of course all of this depends on the time of year and demand.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,523 posts
1,683 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasonable hotel rates...do they exist?

You may wish to consider hotels such as Travel Inn, or Ibis which are more reasonable on per room/per night basis.

Use something like laterooms.com as well where you can get good rates for hotels.

10. Re: Reasonable hotel rates...do they exist?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2006, 21:45