We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airline entertainment to London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
60 posts
405 reviews
Save Topic
Best airline entertainment to London

Hi all,

We are going to London next September. This will be our first trip overseas and longest on an airplane. Does anyone know which airline has the most entertainment on board. Wer'e flying coach. Do most of the airlines have the video screens on the headrests? I can't stand long flights. Wer'e leaving from Chicago so it's about a 8 hour flight. Any help is appreciated.

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best airline entertainment to London

You're best bet is British Airways. I have yet to fly on a domestic airline that has the individual video screens. Virgin airlines has them I believe, but they only operate from the east coast. I fly BA from Denver every year and love the 18 or so different options to watch/listen to. And there is a gps map on one channel so you can watch your progress and see where you are, with updated info etc...

If you go to britishairways.com/travel/…en_us you can see what films will be playing on the trip and the return trip.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best airline entertainment to London

It is rare nowadays for an airline not to have seatback entertainment on transatlantic flights from the US to the UK, rare but by no means extinct. In my opinion Virgin have the best entertainment system. After countless transatlantic flights with movies and the digital maps on the screen above my tray and magazines I was dismayed to find American Airlines had nothing to offer passengers on their Chicago to Manchester route. Just an elderly plane with a two year old kids movie on the main cabin screen for the 7 hour duration. How primitive!!

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best airline entertainment to London

I've flown American LAX-LHR direct in coach and had seatback entertainment, DH has recently done them DFW-FRA and DFW-AMS and had seatback as well. Check the type of aircraft, those were both more modern 767's. American usually also has powerports in their coach seats, so you can also power your own laptop or DVD player. DH was recently dismayed to find no powerports on a United transatlantic flight.

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best airline entertainment to London

Sorry, I think it is actually the 777's which are more likely to have modern conveniences.

You can always check seatguru.com once you know the airline and type of plane to see what you are likely to get.

London, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best airline entertainment to London

Good news if you want the airline for the best entertainment. Virgin Atlantic will start flying from London Heathrow to Chicago O'Hare on Monday 23 April 2006. The route will be served daily.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best airline entertainment to London

Virgin has the best entertainment system of the flights I have been on recently.

The only thing is that there's probably no guarantee which entertainment system you will get. On my most recent flight with them (on a newer plane) we had the system where you could start, stop the films and tv shows at your own convenience. However, I expect they are phasing this in gradually.

I'd be amazed if I went on a long flight these days where the seats didn't have individual screens but maybe there are some out there.

You need to bear in mind that your trip to London will (I assume) be an overnighter and so you will probably need to get some sleep if possible anyway.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best airline entertainment to London

Vicki,

I think you are right the second time. 777's have all the mod cons but the older 767's haven't.

By the way the two year old kids movie I mentioned wasn't a movie aimed at two year old kids, it was a two year old movie for kids.

London
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best airline entertainment to London

Virgin, but BA have nicer seats.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best airline entertainment to London

<<<< was dismayed to find American Airlines had nothing to offer passengers on their Chicago to Manchester route. Just an elderly plane with a two year old kids movie on the main cabin screen for the 7 hour duration. How primitive!!>>>>

How perfectly you have just described Air Canada

:)

Level Contributor
285 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best airline entertainment to London

Virgin has the best in my opinion.I've been to London 4 times each time with Virgin and I've had seats in all classes.