We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Eye makes this Worst List

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Topic
The Eye makes this Worst List

For what it is worth, Frommer's editors' list their "Least Favorite Travel Experiences";

Seattle's Space Needle

Broadway

Maui

Grauman's Chinese Theater

Venice

London Eye

Art galleries in Las Vegas

Anyone interested enough to comment?

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
545 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Eye makes this Worst List

Frommer's proves their worthlessness... the London Eye is a fantastic way to see the whole city, to understand distances and the layout.

A Disney ride it ain't, though, perhaps they were expecting a hair-raising rotation?

And VENICE? OK, if you stick to St. Mark's in the middle of the summer it stinkss (literally). But if you stay in a palazzo, wander the canals and get out of the touristy areas it's gorgeous and very unique.

Agree on the Space Needle though, it should be bulldozed.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Eye makes this Worst List

Don't agree at all with the London Eye and Venice making the list. Even though I live in Seattle, I've never been up in the Space Needle; I always encourage people to visit the Columbia Tower observation room which costs less and provides a higher altitude view.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Eye makes this Worst List

Haven't been in the Eye but I have been up the space needle and the view is simply incredible on a good day,it's what made me decide to move there!

Venice? Good. Keep the Frommer reading hordes away and save it for those of us who appreciate it.

And to quote a famous movie : frankly my dear, I don't give a damn'( what Frommer's say!)

London
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: The Eye makes this Worst List

I think this is more about publicity for them. I’ve had a number of friends and family go on it and all have enjoyed the experience enormously. I don’t live that far from the London Eye and can see it as I type this and have to say I think it also makes a great addition to the cityscape.

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Eye makes this Worst List

I agree with Whitecliffs - I love seeing the Eye as my train pulls into Waterloo. When it was first built I thought it was a bit of a tacky gimmick, but I love its place on the riverscape now. I've been up twice and it was great picking out places I knew. Maybe it is more fun if you know London and can orientate yourself easily but I think it gives a unique view of the town. Maybe the Frommer's contributor went up on a cloudy/misty day when I agree it wouldn't be the most exciting experience.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Eye makes this Worst List

I feel the same way about the Eye--but once the husband and kids convinced me to try it--I though it well worth whatever we paid--I remember thinking it was a lot. But, that said, we have a great photo from our spin on the Eye that is framed and hanging in our kitchen. We are all pressed to the glass making ridiculous faces--a family moment we will treasure for years to come!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Eye makes this Worst List

You've got to be kidding me.....

Flying trans-atlantic wedged into the coach section of an airplane next to a screaming baby didn't make the list?

I like and appreciate all those listed. ( What better way to escape the glitz of Vegas than to pop into an art gallery?)

Those editors are nuts.....

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Eye makes this Worst List

It's very possible that the editor/travel writer never even went inside a capsule, and their findings are based on mere observation from the ground.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,803 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Eye makes this Worst List

Or alternatively they surveyed individuals. These were given a list of say 3 things in each city/country to choose from

eg

Which in Londond did you enjoy the least

St Pauls, Westmisnster and London eye

Which of these italian Cities did you least enjoy

Sorrento, Florence, Venice

If you want to get a certain result you can always manipulate the way you get it just in how you ask the question...

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,666 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The Eye makes this Worst List

16 Favorite London Moments

By Frommer's London Day-by-Day, 1/e

1. Take photos from the top of the London Eye. The top of this Ferris wheel is the best place to get a picture-perfect shot of London's far-reaching landscape. Any time is a good time to take this "flight," but for a truly breathtaking photo op, jump aboard on a late afternoon as the sun starts sinking and the lights come on across the city.

travel.msn.com/Guides/article.aspx…